cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Open Cloud Security malware has hijacked network computer

Yes, extra.dat.  Not sure what to do with it but I'll look over the directions on your link. 

SamSwift
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 52

Weird - the autoresponse said 'here is your extra.dat, and please update your DATs' in the same response.  I've never seen the backend system do that before - have logged it with engineering.

Research are stil investigating the overall threat this side.

MoxieSue - when you say Stinger didn't work can you elaborate please? Did it not run or not detect? We update the content in it every working day so today's posting is worth a go.

Thanks,

Sam

It seemed to run yesterday, but it didn't detect anything wrong.

Highlighted

I ran the stinger I just downloaded today (around noon EST), using the settings suggested (Smart Scan, not Full Scan).  It ran and said it found 19227 clean files, but doesn't say anything about detecting any viruses, trojans or variants.  I didn't try Fix to Scan, but since it didn't even see the Open Cloud Fake Alert I'm not sure it would do any good.

Now what?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 52

It's the FakeAlert Stinger you need and you have to download it freshly each time you use it to get the latest update.  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/10/11 3:35:14 EDT PM

I downloaded the new stinger today, around noon EST, and ran that.  Didn't work.

Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 52

moxiesue wrote:

I downloaded the new stinger today, around noon EST, and ran that.  Didn't work.

Did you set it to repair and not just report?

There is a removal guide on the web HERE and you should scroll down that page as the first links you see are adverts paying for the website.

Yes, I made sure the settings matched what was shown in the Fake Alert Stinger page, including the repair option.  I suppose it could have repaired something without telling me, although that would be odd.

I've downloaded Malwarebytes and will install and run shortly.   I decided to rerun the Stinger as a full scan instead of smart scan, and that is taking a whilte.

Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 52

Good idea.  By the way don't forget to update Malwarebytes before running.   Often the download link is stale dated.

Just a follow-up - between the Fake Alert Stinger, MalwareBytes and rKill I think I've eliminated the problem.  No more pop-ups and I'm able to run and update McAfee again.  I'll try updating McAfee and MalwareBytes again tonight and running them again just to be sure.

Edited to add: I'll look again for the files in the manual clean up document posted a few posts back.

Message was edited by: moxiesue on 10/5/11 11:28:26 AM CDT

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community