cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee Total showing green but not working

Hi, I thought to let others know of ths problem in case they think they are protected.

A few days my computer got infected while browsing (no download was carried out). The virus was called ZeroAcces, & Mcafee Total reported Real Time scanning was turned off in red. This would turn off within seconds of being turned back on. I decided to do a scan & the scan would "appear" to work but in reality was only scanning a few files & reporting complete & no viruses present. I tried to run Stinger but that was blocked, as was Malware programme.  Anyway I tried a couple of virus detectors from another trusted site as there didn't appear to be any answers here. I had to run them about 5-6 times before it said no viruses found in rootkit.

After this the Mcafee Total shield looked normal & the main window displayed green with "Your computer is Secure." In reality this was false as ALL the feature pages when opened would show the tab - Turn On - & when selected would give the blue button saying done & selecting this closed the page with the green ok screen. When feature pages were checked they were back to - Turn On.

I did a safe boot & checked c drive, this appeared to work as it took a long time. The message at the end of scan was no viruses found. My elation was short lived as I still had the same problem, Green ok screen, no cd/dvd drive, no internet connection.

Mcafee Virtual Technician was no good without the internet. Tried both the Stinger & FakeAlert Stinger, these ran this time but problems still there.

I finally worked through the registry files & finally managed to get the cd/dvd to work as another virus remover I wanted to try needed the Recovery Console in place. Ran that & it said it found ZeroAccess (surprised as 3 different scans said no viruses found). Anyway this appeared to fix the problem, but have to say that all the problems outlined are still there!

Tried sfc /scannow, but not confident it did anything.

One thing I forgot to say is that straight after the infection, the Device Manager would only show a white screen with the busy hourglass, & the service.exe running at 92+ & probably due to the fact that the Device Manager is busy. Selecting the Add Hardware gives the message "You can only install only one device at a time."

If I uninstall Mcafee Total, can I download the complete programme on another computer & burn on disc?

I have Mcagent.exe & Agent.exe running, how do I uninstall these?

Is there a way of knowing what the computer is trying to install & stop it, so I can get the CPU levels back down? (100% with service.exe over 92, stopping many startup progs. or services has no effect)

Can I get back online without uninstalling Aol?

Last Mcafee update  was on 19th October, day of infection. Windows XP.

Appologies for the long post, & hope no-one has the same problem.

8 Replies

Re: Mcafee Total showing green but not working

I am not sure if the problem you had is the same that I am having, but my computer states that it is at risk because it can't update, how do I correct this problem.   Thanks, Linda

Hi Linda,

I assume It's been fi ne upto now (& youve not installed spybot or other Malware programme before installing Mcafee).

I think your best course of action would be to download MVT (Mcafee Virtual Technician) & see if that corrects the problem.

link for it - http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/default.html?en-us

Hope this works for you. BTW I am new on here.

Also If you're having internet problems then it might be worth following the discussion here - https://community.mcafee.com/thread/39320?start=30&tstart=0 (page 4).

You'll need access to another computer to download the prorammes required. In this case MVT will not work.

Message was edited by: dipys100 on 03/11/11 11:19:22 CDT

Message was edited by: dipys100 on 03/11/11 11:24:01 CDT
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 9

You are both posting in Malware Discussions > Corporate User Assistance so are you using Coporate products?  By 'McAfee Total' do you mean Total Protection as in Consumer products or Total Protection Service (SaaS) as in Corporate products?

In either case it's not clear whether you need assistance with malware clearance or with the product itself.  If it's the product itself then you both need to start a new thread under the header for that particular product.

Also state in your new thread your complete operating system and service pack details.  'XP' alone is insufficient.

ToPS/Saas Forum

VirusScan Enterprise Forum

Consumer SecurityCenter Forum

Consumer Malware Help Forum

Hi Ex-Brit, 

I typed my product details & followed the link to here. Clearly it's in the wrong place as I'm not a corporate user (3 licence user).

I have finally given in, & have uninstalled Mcafee & I can't access the internet or see items in my Device Manager, so I'm going to reformat & re-install.

Posted to let others know & hoped there was help from someone.

Please move to relevant area or close this thread.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

OK I hear you.  I had to format and reinstall a computer earlier today.   The one good thing about it is that it gives you a machine without all the garbage.

I moved this to the consumer malware section.

There are a few tips and tools here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

It's wise to keep one or two extra anti-malware tools handy as some infections will defeat any of nthe major anti-virus applications, plus surf safeyl, be careful what you download and keep Windfows totally up to date at all times, even parts you may not use.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

By the way I forgot to address the question about uninstalling/reinstalling.   The best thing to do if the software is malfunctioning and you've exhausted the malware avenues is to uninstall it in the normal manner via  Control panel.  Run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Sorry there's no way of installing it via a USB drive.

A good thing to remember is not to use registry cleaners as they often cause corruption, particularly in security software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/11/11 6:39:25 EDT PM
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

You could have updated the dat manually

McAfee, Inc. - Downloads - Virus Protection - DAT Files

This for any1 reading this will move the post to correct area.

Good luck

Highlighted

Hi Peacekeeper, I had downloaded the latest xdat & run it, I assume it updated , but any scans I did, only showed the last scan date before the infection. Even the scan of "C:\" in safemode didn't come up on the home page, although the log had the correct date & as explained in my post failed to find the ZeroAccess found by Combofix. (Didn't say name before as I didn't know if I could name 3rd party software on here).

P.S. I might just invest in Vista, same as my daughters' laptop after reading this - https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/gti/sa_best_practices/blog/2011/08/26/windows-xp-pcs...

Guess they'll target that next if we all move to Vista, Lol.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community