Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 18

Re: McAfee Taken over by Smart Fortress

nayan007 wrote:

But I think first we should uninstall McAdee. Then scan with Malewarebytes and it will deleted maleware and then again can install McAfee. This will be the good procedure

Nonsense.  Please stop giving weird advice to people otherwise we may have to stop your access to these forums.   Please leave these things to us Moderators and McAfee staff

Malwarebytes FREE should be used and it can be downloaded, updated and run in Safe Mode with Networking if the malware preventds normal dektop use.

See my page here on Malware Removal:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

@Hemant Koli, McAfee, like all other antivirus vendors has problems with these fake anti-malware pests as they all involve clicking on something by the user to activate, even if it's the dismiss 'X'.  However McAfee, like other antivirus makers has tools such as Stinger, see that link.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 18

No protection from McAfee for Smart Fortress 2012

Not yet. Nor from Microsoft either, I haven't done the rounds to check, but I'll bet none of the vendors have caught this one. It's not only McAfee which didn't see it coming. I don't know how this one arrives, but the usual routes are well known - email links, downloads from malicious websites, downloads from poisoned websites, drive-by attacks (which btw only work if the code on the page can find a vulnerability in an out-of-date program like Java or Flash).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 07/03/12 14:58:49 GMT
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 18

I have reasked teh Labs person for official comment

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Whether or not it's a true variant of the first Smart Fortress release I don't know (the VirusTotal information does not make that clear) but as of one hour ago it was still being detected by only 8 out of 43 AV vendors.

It is a Smart Fortress variant. If you do not enter the registration code, your desktop is changed to a blank screen, it disables taskmanager, registry editor and hides all your start menu items - basically, you can do nothing.

My Desktop is now just a blank screen like stated above. What can I possibly do to stop this?

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Enter the registration code and remove it as per

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/43738?tstart=0