cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Taken over by Smart Fortress

A program called Smart Fortess 2012 has taken over my machine.  Not only was it not detected by McAfee AV +, but the virus has also taken over the McAfee icon.  When I clcik on the McAfee icon, Smart Fortress pops up instead,

Started in Safemode with the same results.

Can't find any info on the McAfee site by searching Smart Fortress, although there is plent out on the web. 

Tried calling Customer Service.  After 20 min, they confirmed that I'm infected (thanks McAfee for that one).

Anyone know how to remove/recover?

17 Replies
newjack
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 18

Re: McAfee Taken over by Smart Fortress

Here is a Guide.Follow complete Instructions.Should work.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-fortress-2012

thanks.  I had seen this as one of the options, but was not sure if the downloads themselves were safe.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 18

The Bleepingcomputer guide is usually pretty authoritative. I would go with that one. Kaspersky have put up a detailed list of all the files that this rogue AV creates (see HERE).

Excerpt from BleepingComputer :

There is a new rogue from the Rogue.Sysguard family called Smart Fortress 2012. This is the most aggressive variant I have ever seen from this family and I have seen them all. I am currently working on some samples and trying to get a solution put together for you.

If you are infected with this malware, you obviously know it is very difficult to remove. This particular variant kills every executable I have thrown at it so far, starts before your Desktop shows, and starts in safe mode.

Don't worry, though, a solution will be created and you will be able to fix your computer soon enough. If you do have access to your desktop, you can attempt to run your security software by right clicking on the icon and select to Run the program as an Administrator. This will allow the program to run.

Stay tuned!

Update @ 8:33PM EST: Wrote a formal removal guide that can be used here:

Remove Smart Fortress 2012 (Uninstall Guide)
Add New Comment
Posted: By Lawrence Abrams on Feb 27 2012, 07:01 PM - 24 commentsRead: 5299 times - View Comments  Print News Item

Message was edited by: Hayton on 06/03/12 19:09:57 GMT

so I need to buy a program from an unknow sourece online to repair McAFee.  Seems like I made a poor choice in choosing McAfee in the first place if that is the case.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 18

No, you don't need to buy any program to accomplish this removal. Everything mentioned in the BleepingComputer guide is free, including Malwarebytes Free Version.

BleepingComputer is a respected and authoritative guide to malware removal, and Malwarebytes is an established and trusted outfit. You can keep Malwarebytes as a backup for occasional on-demand scans.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I've moved this to Top Threats.

Highlighted

There are several difficulties while removing Smart Fortress 2012. First of all, it blocks launching oflegitimate applications, including anti-viruses, as well as Task Manager. Thisresults in your inability to remove it with the common software uninstall principles.

Try following this guide tobypass the blockage of Smart Fortress virus and then run McAfee s or Malwarebytes (free program) that can help you delete this malware from your PC.

http://www.deletevirus.net/smart-fortress-2012-malware-symptoms/

Message was edited by: irenecrow on 3/7/12 5:29:12 AM CST
hemantk
Level 12
Message 9 of 18

McAfee Team........

No protection from McAfee for Smart Fortress 2012............???????

But I think first we should uninstall McAdee. Then scan with Malewarebytes and it will deleted maleware and then again can install McAfee. This will be the good procedure

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community