cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I get rid of the Win 7 Security 2012 notices?

Jump to solution

How do I get rid of the Win 7 Security 2012 notices?  The computer got it yesterday.  I can not load internet explorer to run the virtual technician

Message was edited by: SamSwift - adding tags and category on 7/18/11 10:01:35 AM IST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I get rid of the Win 7 Security 2012 notices?

Jump to solution

Moved into this special section for Fake AV infections.

McAfee has a Stinger tool for Fake AV's, of which this is one (and not a new one, so it should be in the database). Go to http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx where you can download the tool; read the instructions first.

Let us know how you get on.

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Moved into this special section for Fake AV infections.

McAfee has a Stinger tool for Fake AV's, of which this is one (and not a new one, so it should be in the database). Go to http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx where you can download the tool; read the instructions first.

Let us know how you get on.

Jump to solution

That took care of the problem.  Thank you very much

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Good to see that the stinger tool fixed that

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback - glad to hear Stinger solved this for you.

Kind regards,

Sam

Jump to solution

How does one go to the free tools stinger alert website when the virus won't let us?  I'm still stuck.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Go to an unaffected PC and download it on an usb drive and then run it on the infected PC.

Jump to solution

I ended up transferring it over my home network, and it is running now.  I just have a couple of other questions.  It seems to be taking a while to run; is that normal?  Also, the instruction page says "5. Ensure the preferences appear as depicted in the screenshot below."  In said screenshot, the "Fix to Scan" box is unchecked even though it has a red rectangle around it.  Since I lack the ability to make a red rectangle around anything, I am running it with the "Fix to Scan" box unchecked.  Is this correct?  I followed all of the other instructions.

Jump to solution

Hi

As per screenshot "Fix to Scan" is marked in red rectangle indicating that once you ran and repaired then after scan finishes, uncheck the Fix to Scan option from the detection section in the Preferences dialog.

At first place when you checked "Fix to Scan" box and also selected other option shown in screenshot and then clicked OK often this would take sometime and its normal.

Hope this helps

Regards

Neha C

McAfee SME