Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scoobsj
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Help requested - west yorkshire police version of met police virus

Jump to solution

Today my computer became infected with the above virus. This seems to be exactly the same as has come up in discussions before whereby the virus locks your computer on startup saying you'be been accessing sites involving illegal activity and have to pay a fine to unlock your pc. I've tried a number of things to try and get around it like running mcafee and Trojan killer in safe mode but none of these have worked. I've also seen a previous solution which involved changing the msconfig settings on startup but there didn't appear to be any abnormal programme on the startup menu. I've also looking into the windows regedit file as has been mentioned here but this appeared to be normal too. Does anyone else experienced this virus and does anyone have another way to try and get rid of it. Many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Help requested - west yorkshire police version of met police virus

Jump to solution

Try initiating System Restore in "Safe Mode with Networking" reached by tapping F8 while booting up.

I don't know what operating system and service pack this is but System Restore is normally found under Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools or you can invoke it through Start/Run and type in rstrui.exe and click Enter or OK.

If that's successful that would be all you need to do except temporarily turn off System Restore in order to delete the infected restore point.

If not try downloading Malwarebytes Free, update it and run a full scan with it, all in that mode:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Make sure it's only the free version, do not click the option for a free trial.   It will do all that in that mode.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/04/12 1:19:36 EDT PM
12 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Try initiating System Restore in "Safe Mode with Networking" reached by tapping F8 while booting up.

I don't know what operating system and service pack this is but System Restore is normally found under Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools or you can invoke it through Start/Run and type in rstrui.exe and click Enter or OK.

If that's successful that would be all you need to do except temporarily turn off System Restore in order to delete the infected restore point.

If not try downloading Malwarebytes Free, update it and run a full scan with it, all in that mode:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Make sure it's only the free version, do not click the option for a free trial.   It will do all that in that mode.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/04/12 1:19:36 EDT PM
scoobsj
Level 7
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

This seems to have done the job. Thanks a lot for your help

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

That's good, all the best  😉

Jump to solution

Hi, I also have this virus but am unable to get online in safe mode to download the software. Ive also tried to follow instructions in other threads but all start with "press crl and o" which doesn't work on the screen. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

That would be Safe Mode with Networking not plain Safe Mode...still no good?   I'll have to think on that one.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the very quick reply! Nope - my internet connection doesn't seem to be working in safe mode with networking. Any other ideas you have would be brilliant!

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

I'm out of ideas for now, will ask around.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

I think the only solution left would be to use System Recovery Options.

Here are some Tutorials (also some other links at the bottom of the first post in the 7 and Vista ones)

Windows 7:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Vista:  http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html?ltr=S

XP:  There are many articles on this so I am just publishing the search results HERE

Jump to solution

Hi,

This virus seems difficult but is relatively easy to get rid of. Follow the steps below:

- Reboot your PC in safe mode (tap F8 while booting and select option Safe Mode)

- Go to Start -> Run

- Type 'Msconfig' and hit Enter

- Go to Startup and disable every option

- Save

- Reboot your PC

The virus will not start up anymore. it is, however, still present on your PC. No big deal but you can remove it.

- Go tot Msconfig as mentioned above.

- enable the first option and reboot

if the virus stays away it is not present in this option and you can leave it enabled safely

repeat these steps for every option. As soon as the virus reappears after reboot you know in which option the virus is hiding. Just delete the directory in which it is present and the virus is gone.

Good luck!