cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spc3rd
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 73

Re: Fake Alert Trojan - XP Home Security (Unregistered Version Please Register) HELP

Jump to solution

Afternoon Newjack,

I appreciate all the info!  I did look at that video you mentioned...though I'm not entirely certain I understood EVERYTHING that was explained on it.  (At least it's a starting point).  Although, I don't presently seem to have any problem with a virus or malware, I did download the Rkill software onto one of my USB flash drives (the Rkill version with its original name).  I'll copy the link you provided for those other versions of Rkill...just in case a need to use one of them arises in the future.

Oh yeah...my computer here is a Dell Dimension Mid Tower model, running Win XP Professional, 32-bit.

Thanks very much again for all your help!  

newjack
Level 12
Message 72 of 73

Re: Fake Alert Trojan - XP Home Security (Unregistered Version Please Register) HELP

Jump to solution

Good, I hope that helped a little anyway.If you go back to watch the video.I believe he states that he put all of the Rkill versions on a cd instead of usb.If you are interested.Go back and see how he does it.You can always stop the video as he goes.Then take notes in case they are ever needed.He also has many other very good computer videos.Such as how to create a rescue disk and other cool computer things.

dekkem
Level 7
Message 73 of 73

Jump to solution

Update.....

Thanks to all of you who responded and gave me further tips. 

I ran RKill.

I ran McAfee scan and it found nothing.

I ran Malwarebytes and it found and killed the Fake Alert Trojan.

Thanks "Ex-Brit" Peter (and fellow Torontonian) for your well documented resolution. 

Too bad the competition was needed to resolve a problem McAfee did not!!!

Martin