cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spc3rd
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 73

Re: Fake Alert Trojan - XP Home Security (Unregistered Version Please Register) HELP

Jump to solution

Morning Peter,

In my reviews of all the many postings in the various forums it sems a majority of posters use the terms "virus" and "malware" as if they mean the same thing when describing an adverse event which has occurred on their computer.  Isn't there a difference between the two terms?

Thanks very much for any enlightenment!

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 42 of 73

Re: Fake Alert Trojan - XP Home Security (Unregistered Version Please Register) HELP

Jump to solution

Malware is the umbrella expression that covers viruses, trojans, worms, spyware and fake anti-malware, the latter being the problem that we were discussing.

Wikipedia is usually a good guide to computer-ese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Jump to solution

I think McAfee got rid of this virus for me, because all of a sudden it was telling me that there was an update and I should restart the computer.  Now I can access the Internet and there are no more pop-ups about "home security), but I can't get to Microsoft Word or any of those type programs.  I can't even change the date/time.  What should I do?  I know very little about computers. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 44 of 73

Jump to solution

lovethatdog wrote:

I think McAfee got rid of this virus for me, because all of a sudden it was telling me that there was an update and I should restart the computer.  Now I can access the Internet and there are no more pop-ups about "home security), but I can't get to Microsoft Word or any of those type programs.  I can't even change the date/time.  What should I do?  I know very little about computers. 

Doubtful as antiviruses are not very good at removing those.  I already answered your other post here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/189247#189247

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit,

Thank you very much for your help and your quick response.  I think I understand the position you are in and again, I do not wish to disparage you or the work you are doing here.  However, I remain extremely concerned over McAfee’s handling of this particular problem.

For the record, I did run a full scan in Safe mode shortly after receiving the virus and McAfee came up with nothing.  In the interest of brevity I did not mention that in my first post.  It was then that I went to another computer and started googling “XP Home Security Virus”. 

Some years ago, I was running spybot, ad-aware, Zone Alarm, the Windows firewall, and probably something else that I can’t remember now.   I grew tired of all the internal conflicts and the hassle of manually running them and keeping everything updated.  I turned to McAfee because of the promise to do all these things, automatically, for each of my machines  (two at the time, now three), and because my current and prior employers both used McAfee and I was already familiar with the product.   

I understand that new viruses or malware or whatever technical term they are called are created all the time, and that anti-virus software sometimes needs a bit of time to catch up.  But the first post in this thread was nearly 3 months ago and apparently the best that McAfee can do for me is to recommend I download a free version of a competitor’s software, or get what appears to be a work-in-progress fix from what I assume to be other McAfee users off a message board?  Am I missing something? 

And even if I could access to the internet – which I couldn’t  –  I’m supposed to download, install, and run these things while the virus is fighting me every step of the way?   Again, I go back to the question of what would I have done if I hadn’t had a second computer?  I would essentially be dead in the water. 

I pay McAfee because I don’t want to learn about Malwarebytes and rkill and bleepingcomputer.com.  I don’t have time.  If McAfee can’t or won’t detect something that Malwarebytes does for free, why doesn’t McAfee simply sign some kind of licensing agreement and include Malwarebytes as part of its package?  Will GetSusp eventually make its way into the McAfee packages (specifically Total Protection, which is what I have)?  If so, when?   I don’t mean to rant and I’m certainly not directing this at you personally, Ex_Brit, but I’m a dad who lost countless hours with his daughter last weekend, researching and fixing something that I thought I was paying McAfee to take care of.  And to make matters worse, it appears that McAfee isn’t even really working on the problem.  

This is not acceptable.

Reliable Contributor
Message 46 of 73

Jump to solution

scottfarkus wrote:

Ex_Brit,

Thank you very much for your help and your quick response.  I think I understand the position you are in and again, I do not wish to disparage you or the work you are doing here.  However, I remain extremely concerned over McAfee’s handling of this particular problem.

For the record, I did run a full scan in Safe mode shortly after receiving the virus and McAfee came up with nothing.  In the interest of brevity I did not mention that in my first post.  It was then that I went to another computer and started googling “XP Home Security Virus”. 

Some years ago, I was running spybot, ad-aware, Zone Alarm, the Windows firewall, and probably something else that I can’t remember now.   I grew tired of all the internal conflicts and the hassle of manually running them and keeping everything updated.  I turned to McAfee because of the promise to do all these things, automatically, for each of my machines  (two at the time, now three), and because my current and prior employers both used McAfee and I was already familiar with the product.   

I understand that new viruses or malware or whatever technical term they are called are created all the time, and that anti-virus software sometimes needs a bit of time to catch up.  But the first post in this thread was nearly 3 months ago and apparently the best that McAfee can do for me is to recommend I download a free version of a competitor’s software, or get what appears to be a work-in-progress fix from what I assume to be other McAfee users off a message board?  Am I missing something? 

And even if I could access to the internet – which I couldn’t  –  I’m supposed to download, install, and run these things while the virus is fighting me every step of the way?   Again, I go back to the question of what would I have done if I hadn’t had a second computer?  I would essentially be dead in the water. 

I pay McAfee because I don’t want to learn about Malwarebytes and rkill and bleepingcomputer.com.  I don’t have time.  If McAfee can’t or won’t detect something that Malwarebytes does for free, why doesn’t McAfee simply sign some kind of licensing agreement and include Malwarebytes as part of its package?  Will GetSusp eventually make its way into the McAfee packages (specifically Total Protection, which is what I have)?  If so, when?   I don’t mean to rant and I’m certainly not directing this at you personally, Ex_Brit, but I’m a dad who lost countless hours with his daughter last weekend, researching and fixing something that I thought I was paying McAfee to take care of.  And to make matters worse, it appears that McAfee isn’t even really working on the problem.  

This is not acceptable.

They work too differently to ever be combined.  Besides these fake anti-malware things aren't even an infection in themselves.  They rely on people blindly clicking something without thinking.

That's why there are all the independent anti-malware forums out there, to help in these situations.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/05/11 7:02:59 EDT PM

Jump to solution

I just removed XP Home Security with a system restore. This allowed me to go to a date before I got XP Home Security. I followed the steps recommended by this person which they followed to remove XP Home Security

Link removed for safety reasons.- Moderator

Please PM if you need any help. Good Luck!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/05/11 7:22:27 EDT AM
Reliable Contributor
Message 48 of 73

Jump to solution

I removed that link as I have already posted the best removal guide in my first response to the original poster.

If you are going to use System Restore to get rid of an infection, which is always the first thing one can try of course, then don't forget to temporarily disable System Restore afterwards to get rid of the infected restore point and also don't forget to immediately check for Windows Updates, and update your McAfee and any other time-sensitive software.

The link is marked as dangerous by Web of Trust and possibly by more browser security checks.

Capture.JPG

myself
Level 7
Message 49 of 73

Jump to solution

Hi,

My computer got infected with this virus today, i don't have any idea how!!

anyway I tried the system restore and was succesful in restoring my computer to a date one week earlier. Now i do not get those alert messages.

However from the last 4 hours my rogers online protection is trying to run a scan on the computer but the progress is 0%. i am completely novie in computer knowledge, please can you give me complete guide how to check my system? what steps should I take after system restoring? Am i still threatened from the virus?

Also, if my system is still threatened, can i copy my files ( all my university work) on a usb? i hope i would not be passing the infection on the usb.

Please advice

Thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 50 of 73

Jump to solution

Although I am a Rogers customer I am not familiar with their Online protection programme.  Is it provided by McAfee or someone else?   Is there a way you can stop it from doing an automated scan?

For instance try Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager (or right-click the bottom taskbar and choose it) and see if you can end it there.

Using System Restore probably is all you need to do but any time sensitive applications such as virus protection should immediately be updated as should Windows.

What you should do now is temporarily disable System Restore to get rid of the infected restore point.

As a precaution download, update and run a full scan with the FREE version of THIS software just in case.

You should always make regular backups of your important documents, pictures, videos, even emails, just in case.

Use any means - re-recordable media, USB drives, external drives etc.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community