cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBI Moneypak Virus-Unable to access any of my files!!

I was just infected yesterday by the FBI MoneytPack virus while having MacAffee protection. Why is MacAfee disregarding this virus to its users. I am terribly disappointed.I had neve heard of this virus and the initial presentation put me through a lot of stress.

How or where can I present the managment of MacAffe that they are not doing a good job in protecting me....I will also pass this complaint to American On Line for future consideration. Issues like this are not helping AOL wither...

Frankn

5 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: FBI Moneypak Virus-Unable to access any of my files!!

Have you tried Stinger and Malwarebytes?

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

These malware change regularly and it is hard to keep up. Avs are not 100% coverage they always miss some usually recently changed ones.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

frankn1940 wrote:

I was just infected yesterday by the FBI MoneytPack virus while having MacAffee protection. Why is MacAfee disregarding this virus to its users. I am terribly disappointed.I had neve heard of this virus and the initial presentation put me through a lot of stress.

How or where can I present the managment of MacAffe that they are not doing a good job in protecting me....I will also pass this complaint to American On Line for future consideration. Issues like this are not helping AOL wither...

Frankn

No antivirus, no matter what brand, can stop these things as they require human interraction to activate.   If hit by one of these do absolutely nothing, not even a mouse click or key stroke and hard power off.  Reboot to Safe Mode and try to initiate System Restore.

If successful, temporarily disable System Restore to remove the 'infected' restore point.

As Peacekeeper has already stated then consult that link he gave which is also in my signature below.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Btw here's the ultimate removal guide for FBI Moneypak:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware but as there are new variants all the time you may wish to explore that board for more.

They are probably one of the best malware removal sites on the web.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I just branched this to its own thread as the other thread was solved.

McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Frankn,

Just wanted to say I completely understand your frustration.  This FBI MoneyPak trojan (also called Revaton) has been a real challenge for all Anti-Virus companies.  The way it morphs and changes has made it extremely difficult to identify each new variant, thus, even protected customers are sometimes getting stung. 

McAfee's Development Engineers are working hard on improving detection & removal.  We're not alone.  In a recent Forbes article, writer David Wismer talks about getting infected with the same trojan on machines with Norton installed.  If you have any further problems related to this infection, send me a private message and we'll work to get you the help you need.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software