Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbuk71
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 73

Re: FBI MoneyPak Scam - Removing Virus

Jump to solution

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  My husband's computer was so messed up that we were getting nowhere.  Luckily we found this post and it was clear enough that we were finally able to get rid of this super-frustrating problem.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 32 of 73

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now 😉

Jump to solution

Yes ty e1 for the help my computer had a boot up to erase one windows and put a new one in a whole new partition but thats what it took to get it off here

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 34 of 73

Jump to solution

Next time and let's hope it never happens, but at the first sign of trouble, forget what you were doing, don't click anything,  just do a hard power off.   Then reboot into Safe Mode and initiate System Restore to before it happened.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/10/12 2:01:39 EDT PM
mrpg
Level 7
Message 35 of 73

Jump to solution

Is this now preventable via current DAT?

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 36 of 73

Jump to solution

It may be detected by the current DAT. One poster reports that McAfee stopped a Trojan but missed something that keeps trying to start an exe file which other posts elsewhere say is part of the ransomware package. I need someone to confirm the name of the Trojan, but most people don't make a note of these things.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 73

Jump to solution

I would also run stinger and getsusp making sure you add your email address to the getsusp preferences.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Jump to solution

I have McAfee which is provided by AT&T through my Uverse service on my computer yesterday I while on line filing for Unemployment and when I was finished I went to register for a job search page that your supposed to go to, and it hit theFbi popped up and that's all she wrote.

Why didn't my McAfee catch it if it's considered one on of the best ?????

I have been to several web sites and watched a bunch of You tube videos on how to remove it and no luck so far.

I can't get on-line even in Safe mode so I use a flash drive to down load other Malware removal tools but when I install them they have to be updated so they really don't do the job and restore does not work at all.

So what do I do now do I install Windows 7 again

Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 73

Jump to solution

No antivirus detects these things...read the thread for more information.

Jump to solution

In the last few days I had this money pack virus, no icons on my main user acct which is admin, lock screen, was not able to reboot in safemode, was able to get around in task manger, most of my services where shutdown, destroyed my backup, and they deleted some sys files and they made my main account a standard user only suggestions I can offer disconnect the infected CPU from your ISP when I was looking around threw task manger I noticed a up load program set to upload every 3 hours in program files, once the virus got on my CPU I am guessing it stated to shot down all notifications and all my anti-virus and malware software and firewall was able to save photos, docs and scans from a pristine admin account I made long time ago have to go back to adding a slave drive for personal stuff and just keep c:\ drive for programs and os this way format and reinstall are not that painful

Message was edited by: rennopp on 5/23/13 7:10:17 AM CDT

Message was edited by: rennopp on 5/23/13 7:14:41 AM CDT