cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmmzadr
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 17

Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working...

Jump to solution

I'm on Vista and have the pop-up I've typed into the subject bar for this post.  It has also hidden all my files.  I have run a sys restore from a restore point 4 days prior.  It has unhidden my files, BUT I still have the pop up.  Note:  The word "Centre" is not the English spelling.  I'm fairly certain it is a virus even though McAfee is not picking anything up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working...

Jump to solution

Some thoughts more technical than virus thoughts though

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/catalyst-control-centre-host...

If it is a virus try the following

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx

Post if it helps

Another way is

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Try Malwarebytes link there

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/08/11 1:52:57 PM
16 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

Some thoughts more technical than virus thoughts though

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/catalyst-control-centre-host...

If it is a virus try the following

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx

Post if it helps

Another way is

Try Malwarebytes link there

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/08/11 1:52:57 PM
jmmzadr
Level 7
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

Trying Fake AV tonight.  Will keep you posted.

Thank you.

jmmzadr
Level 7
Message 4 of 17

Jump to solution

Fake AV found an intrusion, but still have the two pop-ups stating Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working...

Will try Malwarebytes link in the other posting you attached.  Hope this works.

Thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution

At the end you may need to uninstall reinstall CCC

jmmzadr
Level 7
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper,

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you, again.  Malwarebytes was the ticket.  Fake AV got a few then Malwarebytes knocked the rest out.  Just for reference there were issues regarding the associations with the files on the root of C.  A lot of the files were hidden.  So I followed the guidance of another post on another forum.  It is attached below.  After following their advice the system is running properly.  Thank you, again.  I really appreciate your time.

This may be the solution you are seeking.

I recently removed the Vista Recovery Center malware from another one of our company laptops. It has ATI graphics installed. This malware hides most of the files on the PC in an attempt to fool you into thinking that your PC is really damaged like it is reporting. Removing the malware does not undo the hidden aspects. In Vista, the c:\Users\"your profile name (usually Owner)"  folder contains the AppData subdirectory that the Catalyst Control Center needs to access in order to function. When this directory is hidden, then CCC cannot locate the necessary files to launch. To fix this issue, I use the following steps.

Navigate to c:\ and right click on Users. Select properties. Under the General tab, look at the bottom for the Hidden selection. If there is not a check mark in the box, place a check mark there. Hit apply, select yes to apply to all subdirectories. If you clicked ok, you may notice that it disappeared from the right pane once it finishes. It should still be listed under the tree on the left. Right click on it again. This time remove the check mark and apply to all subdirectories. Once it has finished, your files in the Users directory should reappear and Catalyst Control Center should function normally again. This has worked in all cases that I have encounterd so far. Hopefully this works for you as well..

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Jump to solution

Have you got a log from MWB of what it picked up? I want Mcafee to note what stinger missed.

Moving post to top threat area so stinger bods can note this

Jump to solution

What's McAfee's current status on this virus?  I was "hit" this past Sat. (20111001).  Received messages to the effect that my HD was full, DRAM was corrupted, CPUs overheading, and then several pop-up errors when the virus was unable to change the "Hidden" attribute on certain files.  It change almost all files on my PC to "Hidden", not just those in the User folder.  Also, I received a pop-up ad from a bogus company ("Data" Something) that claimed it could fix all of the problems.  It asked for personal info and payment.  I was able to go back to a restore point, but I'm still fixing "Hidden" files days later.  What a mess!  First time in 17 years of computing that McAfee failed to protect me.  Guess I can't complain about the average, lol.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

Try what I suggested ie

run getsusp it will update mcafee if it finds anything suspect.

Run stinger fake alert

run Malwarebytes

Reinstall CCC

Jump to solution

I to have been enjoying the Catalyst Control Centre Malware that the McAfee software missed.

Tried all the steps you outlined.. Stinger, MalBytes, reinstalled CCC with no change.  Still getting the pop-up box.

Any other ideas???

-SeattleSarge