cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceci
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Can I have malwarebytes on my computer and McAfee's anti-virus at the same time?

I had a nasty, nasty, hideous fake virus scan problem. Spent hours getting rid of it since that darn malware wouldn't let me get onto any site most of the time. Was finally able to somehow download Malwarebytes and that did the trick. McAfee's anti-virus program let it through so don't trust it anymore. When I spoke to McAfee's tech support, I received two different answers re. if I could or could not have Malwarebytes and McAfee's anti-virus program at the same time. So, does anyone really know.

Thanks,

Ceci

Message was edited by: SamSwift on 7/18/11 10:00:21 AM IST
9 Replies
nchattop
Level 12
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I have malwarebytes on my computer and McAfee's anti-virus at the same time?

Hi Ceci,

Please use McAfee stinger tool for scanning  and detecting the file, I am providing you the link to download the tool and its usage

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

If you find the file is not getting detected please send us the sample in password-protected zip file (password=infected) to virus_research_fakealert@avertlabs.com and inform me further.

Yes no problem with installing of Malwarebytes

Feel free to contact us further

Regards

Neha C

McAfeeSME

Highlighted

Re: Can I have malwarebytes on my computer and McAfee's anti-virus at the same time?

Hi Ceci,

I would probably suggest you to keep the McAfee running and use the free copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware as an on demand scanner. Make sure to update it daily and run 2 scans a week. This should set the ball rolling for a free and smooth computer usage for you.

To answer your question, YES they can exist but I would not do that just because it will result in too much of resource hogging between the 2 software.

Cheers

Sameer

Hello -

It`s possibly one of those support guys were referring to Malwarebytes real-time protection, this might be incompatible with Macfee - however the free version of Malwarebytes will cause no problems whatsoever.

on 16/07/11 10:26:30 IST
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

BUT and this is a big but. If you are reinstalling Mcafee you need to remove MWB and any other AV/antimalware program as the install checks for them. Selecting skip detection causes some angst like mcafee uninstalling itself. Just reinstall after Mcafee and all fine provided they have no real time detection component.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/07/11 8:42:00 AM
newjack
Level 12
Message 6 of 10

Yes this is true.I found this new surprise when reinstalling my new 2011 update.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

We spoke about this on our last Conference Call with McAfee and it was suggested that McAfee's Installer be modified to tell people to uninstall "offending" software and refuse to continue until that is done.

It used to do this, not sure why they changed it.

ceci
Level 7
Message 8 of 10

Thank you very much to all who replied. I don't think I need the stinger tool since Malwarebytes got rid of that super nasty malware. I love that thing. I probably didn't get any warning from McAfee when McAfee's anti-virus was being reinstalled since I told the tech support I had Malwarebytes and they removed it via remote before reinstalling McAfee. They were trying to fix another problem I was having with site alert so every tech guy was trying to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee a zillion times. Kept telling them that others had already tried that a zillion times already, wouldn't listen to me that it wouldn't fix the site advisor problem I had and it didn't so I give up with that issue since site alert works for the initial google result pages, just not the additional ones so will be more careful with those.

Since from what I gather from the responses to my question, I can have the free version of Malwarebytes and McAfee anti-virus at the same time. I will just uninstall Malwarebytes when McAfee prompts me to and then reinstall just as Tony suggested. Feel better having Malwarebytes on my computer since it was so super at getting rid of that bug that McAfee let through.

Thanks again to all,

Ceci

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi Ceci,

Yes - I keep MalwareBytes free version on mine and always updated, just in case.

Good luck 😉

SamSwift
Level 12
Message 10 of 10

Hi Ceci,

As I believe you have received advice regarding MB, I just wanted to mention that we have a daily release of a standalone scanning tool specifically targeting fake av malware, which can be downloaded here.

Kind regards,

Sam

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community