cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Browser redirect to fake websites and search engines

I use IE9 and mostly search with yahoo. When I search for something and click on one of the links I get redirected to either a site that Mcafee has red flagged or to a page that looks like a search engine.  This has effectivly cut me off from using the internet except by direct links ( favorites, from software) .  Also I got a fake anti-virus program from a fake update for Adobe flash, it's called cloud av 2012.  I ran a full scan and it found and removed several trojans, but the problems persist. I also tried the Stinger with no luck. Please help.

Windows7-64bit  OS     Acer Aspire 5739G notebook

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Browser redirect to fake websites and search engines

Moved to Top Threats

Did you run the Fake AV Stinger, which you can download from here?

Message was edited by: Hayton on 27/11/11 00:11:50 GMT

I downloaded and ran the stinger, it could not detect the rogue av. I noticed in the list of files being scaned 'Cloud av 2012' came up, it just didn't recognize or percieve it as a threat.  When I downloaded the stinger and looked at preferances, it did not have the same options as illustrated in the instructions. I wonder if it's just an updated version with less options or a different type of stinger.

I also ran Kaspersky tdss killer, it detected nothing.  I'll try some of the other ones and post the results.

Thank you for helping

I tried Avast and it seems to have detected the virus and rogue av. All infected files are now quarantined and my computer shows no sign of infection

Thank you Hayton, I could not have done it without your guidance and links.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Oh, okay. I'm surprised the Fake AV Stinger didn't detect Cloud AV 2012, it should have done. If any of the stuff I posted here or in the other thread was helpful, then that's nice to know. I guess this one is probably answered now.  Come back if you have any more problems & we'll do our best for you.