cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIE vs GTI

Jump to solution

Hi All,

As I understood TIE and GTI are the same. just TIE store in on-premise and GTI store in on Cloud. 
TIE concept just sharing threat reputation to all of Mcafee Product.
Let say, If we do not install TIE, all product will go to query from GTI on cloud and GTI also has a lot of information than TIE on-premise. that's what i thinking.

Please advise me if I am missing some point

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: TIE vs GTI

Jump to solution

Hi @SIMON168,

Thank you for your Post! TIE and GTI have major differences apart from the on premise and cloud presence part!

One Major difference is TIE integrates with ATP component of your endpoint. GTI does not require this component to work (atleast with Endpoint Security).

TIE lets you as an admin decide or fee reputation of a PE file to it. For example, you can mark a file that is detected by TIE server or feed a specific hash of a file to TIE server and mark it Malicious. Based on your configuration, the execution of that file in your endpoint will generate threat event and be actioned as per your policy.

TIE and GTI can never replace one another entirely. TIE Server by itself can contact GTI as well for collecting reputation information of the files it sees.

There are so many more crucial differences in terms of requirements, configurations and use cases. 

Here is a good KBA showing the variety of products our GTI is integrated and can be enabled for use.

In the product guide of newer version of TIE, you can see the various use cases where TIE would come in very handy:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/threat-intelligence-exchange-3.0.x-product-guide/page/GUID-EA8AF955-A...

Here is a good place to know the Key Features of TIE from the same guide:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/threat-intelligence-exchange-3.0.x-product-guide/page/GUID-C9BE8FBA-8...

So,to answer your question, TIE and GTI do not do the same work apart from sending reputation of a file the requesting product. Most importantly, the difference in how they work and what they do is determined by the products you use and your requirements.

I hope this gives a good start for your search for answer. Please feel free to ask more specific questions based on what product you are using and what you wish to achieve by implementing TIE or GTI.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

3 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi @SIMON168,

Thank you for your Post! TIE and GTI have major differences apart from the on premise and cloud presence part!

One Major difference is TIE integrates with ATP component of your endpoint. GTI does not require this component to work (atleast with Endpoint Security).

TIE lets you as an admin decide or fee reputation of a PE file to it. For example, you can mark a file that is detected by TIE server or feed a specific hash of a file to TIE server and mark it Malicious. Based on your configuration, the execution of that file in your endpoint will generate threat event and be actioned as per your policy.

TIE and GTI can never replace one another entirely. TIE Server by itself can contact GTI as well for collecting reputation information of the files it sees.

There are so many more crucial differences in terms of requirements, configurations and use cases. 

Here is a good KBA showing the variety of products our GTI is integrated and can be enabled for use.

In the product guide of newer version of TIE, you can see the various use cases where TIE would come in very handy:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/threat-intelligence-exchange-3.0.x-product-guide/page/GUID-EA8AF955-A...

Here is a good place to know the Key Features of TIE from the same guide:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/threat-intelligence-exchange-3.0.x-product-guide/page/GUID-C9BE8FBA-8...

So,to answer your question, TIE and GTI do not do the same work apart from sending reputation of a file the requesting product. Most importantly, the difference in how they work and what they do is determined by the products you use and your requirements.

I hope this gives a good start for your search for answer. Please feel free to ask more specific questions based on what product you are using and what you wish to achieve by implementing TIE or GTI.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thank for your sharing. 
Now I understood.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi @SIMON168,

Thank you for marking the solution and Kudos to you for letting fellow community members with similar questions what helped you. Happy to be of assistance here!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community