cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIE- How can I perform a schedule backup?

Jump to solution

HI all,

I have 3 TIE server (1 master and 2 slave)

Is there any possible way to have a schedule backup?

I do find a KB and find how to back up a server

But, can EPO or another method can do this task automatically?

McAfee Corporate KB - Threat Intelligence Exchange Server database maintenance KB86092

Regards

Tony

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clubez
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Re: TIE- How can I perform a schedule backup?

Jump to solution

If you have TIE Slaves then you should not need to backup the the TIE Database (as long as the replication process is working OK).  If for some reason you lose the Master then you can promote one of the slaves.  The KB article referenced above states "McAfee recommends you use a Storage Area Network (SAN) to store each TIE Server virtual appliance disk and also to rely on periodic snapshots against unexpected failure events at the database level."  it has also been updated for changes in TIE 2.1

7 Replies

Jump to solution

You can set up a cron job on the server to run that command.  I do not believe there's a way to orchestrate this from ePO.

Reliable Contributor bretzeli
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes we have the same question. We have VEAAM Replica and NETAPP Snapshots but i also want the POSTGRE DUMP automated. There is

an immense of work from IT side in that database regarding to TIE.

Could someone from Mcafee comment on that and maybe make a whitepaper HOW to do that automated on the LINUX Distro you use?

Assuming Mcafee customers are not too fit in TUX would be a good start 😉 ON MS SQL dumps are the only way to go for us.

Thanks

clubez
Level 9
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

If you have TIE Slaves then you should not need to backup the the TIE Database (as long as the replication process is working OK).  If for some reason you lose the Master then you can promote one of the slaves.  The KB article referenced above states "McAfee recommends you use a Storage Area Network (SAN) to store each TIE Server virtual appliance disk and also to rely on periodic snapshots against unexpected failure events at the database level."  it has also been updated for changes in TIE 2.1

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

If you don't NEED a TIE Slave because you only have 1'000 clients in ONE LAN-Connected location THEN this would be a reason to install a TIE-Slave?

Potsgre DUMPS > This was meant additional to SAN-Snapshots or VEEAM-Replicas. We have enough HA in other Areas from FW to Exchange and Webgateway.

I have seen the problems some had with the TIE Master/Slave during upgrades so it wouzl dbe a good idea to keep that simple.

There once will be a clear strategy in smaller IT departments soon. If Ransomware and Cyberthreats like the one from Ukraine will go on like this small SBS with up to 500 will start using such solutions and maybe not even have SAN. Ever thought of that in a sales view?

clubez
Level 9
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

If the resources are available I'd have a TIE Slave rather then mess about with PostgreSQL.  It's the recommenced minimum for a production environment.  But for small environments you could get away with just one combined TIE/DXL Server and rely on snapshots.  Customer/Management decision at the end of the day, we can only recommend.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Cluster ist the backup solution?

Thats like a BACKUP-2-DISK Strategy in RANSOMWARE days which attacks VEEAM, SQL Express and NETAPP filers? Is useless if a realy tricky Ransomware takes down the SQL Express of VEEAM attacks the NETAPP FIler via Shell and you have no offiste / Replication-Lag-time Backup and no tape.

What if we need a single file? You change someting here because you don't like the GTI refresh with VI and mess up the file since your don't use VI 8hrs a day 😉

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB84089

Well then? Let me guess the settings file gets replicated to master/slave? Old version has BAK from last update of TIE bur the rest?

We don't have to discuess about that. It's just NUTS. Why does the Mcafee Server have a SNAPSHOT function? Ever seen an EPO with 40 products where the things crashes? Know what mcafee says then?

Know when you implented the BUG which made the BUG? After 1 year?

Well that's why they made the backup function with Snashots?

Now you guys wanna discuss if we need it in TIE where people spend 3Hrs per day, Build python tools and Upload scripts and you tell us we need no backup?

@clubez wrote:

If the resources are available I'd have a TIE Slave rather then mess about with PostgreSQL.  It's the recommenced minimum for a production environment.  But for small environments you could get away with just one combined TIE/DXL Server and rely on snapshots.  Customer/Management decision at the end of the day, we can only recommend.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

02.10.2018, Just updated TIE to 2.3 today which went perfect and fine. And i have to say we still do the POSTGRE dump manual and i would like to see Mcafee making an options to a) Make a Postgre DUMP automatic b) Pump that to and SFTP or FNS share wir credentials.

Nobody listening? And don't tell us the go to ideas and feature website. We already posted 40 ideas there.. Thanks.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.