cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVT causing BSOD on Windows XP SP2

Hi,

I started a wide deployment of MVT yesterday, with a Health Check / Remediation task set for system startup.  We received numerous reports (enough to be significant) of workstations with Windows XP SP2 crashing and rebooting repeatedly.  I don't know if it was the task itself that was doing it, or one of the attempted remediations, but it was necessary for us to disable to task.

None of the computers with service pack 3 are having any problems, as far as I can tell, and not all of the service pack 2 computers are experiencing the issue.

Are there any known issues around service pack 2 and MVT?

Thanks,

- Steve

5 Replies
Highlighted
fconde
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: MVT causing BSOD on Windows XP SP2

We haven't received any reports about this.  MVT was successfully tested on XP SP2 and SP3.

If you enable the remediation task one one of these system, are you able to reproduce the issue?

Hi Francois,

Thanks for the reply.  I will certainly try to do some testing.  I can't guarantee I will be able to do anything this week, as it's going to be a short week for me.

- Steve

Hi,

i've also encountered Bluescreens on several machines running XP SP2. On those machines only the Health Check task was active. I've deaktivated the task for the time beeing until the machines and/or MVT are updated.

Generaly i think that MVT is a good idea and hope that this problem can be resolved soon.

Thanks,

Norbert

Not that this will probably be of any help , but remember that SP2 for XP turns EOL on 13th July 2010 and will therefore be unsupported, so maybe worthwhile thinking about upgrading to SP3 very soon anyway.

Regards

Jane

fconde
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 6

As I mentioned earlier, MVT has been tested with XP SP2 and SP3.  We have only heard of the two BSOD reported on this thread however, we have been unable to reproduce the issue.  It is quite possible that MVT is actually underlining an issue specific to SP2 but without a memory dump, we can only speculate.

Regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community