cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove McAfee Virtual Technician?

Jump to solution

I did use MVT year ago in an attempt to solve a SiteAdvisor issue I had at that time. I don't have any McAfee software installed (not counting the Fx plugin). My present problem arises from the fact that I use Kaspersky IS and that MVT has left files to \Downloaded Program Files\ folder. I can not remove Virtual Technician via ARP. And MCPR does not remove it. This poses a problem to me as have to deal with Kaspersky Support complaining about MVT everytime I contact them.

Everytime my potential issue is in the shadow of this "McAfee software which I have installed". Everytime they ask me to run MCPR which doesn't remove those files.

So, how do I get rid off of those files? Considering the special nature of the DPF folder.

Any help is much appreciated (note that I have ask here, as I can't contact support as I'm not McAfee customer)

List of files identified by Kaspersky diagnostic software (these files are not visible when I access that location via Explorer):

=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\McContentMgr.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician
=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\McHealthCheck.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician
=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\McLogMgr.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician
=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\McPlugins.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician
=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\McProdMgr.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician
=> Filename C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\MVT.dll - McAfee Virtual Technician

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to remove McAfee Virtual Technician?

Jump to solution

You should be able to delete these files within a command prompt. If you're running Vista or Windows 7, make sure you run cmd.exe as Administrator. They may be hidden, so check the file attributes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Jump to solution

You should be able to delete these files within a command prompt. If you're running Vista or Windows 7, make sure you run cmd.exe as Administrator. They may be hidden, so check the file attributes.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Considering that I likely used the possible Add/remove programs option year ago (and that these files are still installed after that), is it really safe to delete them?

I have understood the DPF is not exactly a normal folder, so is there is any chance for me to get any side effects from removing these files? System-crippling side effects?

Jump to solution

I checked with the developers of MVT, and they told me it was ok to delete the files you list.  There are not references to these files within your system or registry after uninstalling MVT from ARP.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information. I was able to delete the files from command line.

Message was edited by: lordpake on 11/13/09 4:34 PM
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I use McAfee from SBC global. I had to reinstall Mcafee today.  When I tried to run Mcaff Technician, it owuld not run. It tried t download a new version.  I tried to remvoe from add remove but could not.  Is there anotuer tool to remove the Mcafee Technician so I can reinstall it?  Any suggestions??

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community