cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
browah
Level 7

SiteAdvisor Enterprise

Jump to solution

Running SiteAdvisor Enterprise Plus 3.0.0, has anyone been successful in creating a "whitelist"?

(IE: allowing only access to certain sites while blocking others)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ron.sokol
Level 10

Re: SiteAdvisor Enterprise

Jump to solution

Thanks, mmoore. 

We've been delaying the deployment because we're trying to use AD group memership to determine which WFE policy to apply, and for some reason with ePO 4.5, when I define an LDAP server, it essentally brings the server down due to overhead created by agent communication encryption set ups and tear downs and/or user lookups causing max connections and DoS...4.6 is supposed to fix this.  So hopefully then, we'll be 'in there'

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kmccrone
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, I've created a simple whitelist with just ".ilstu.edu" in it to provide access to all the sites that end in ilstu.edu such as www.ilstu.edu and www.admissions.ilstu.edu.  I have not been able to block all sites except the whitelist site which is one of my goals with Site Advisor in the case of an emergency where there are serious risks to browsing.  An example would be if there were a zero-day vulnerability that was actively being exploited.

0 Kudos
browah
Level 7

Jump to solution

Kevin

That is the same issue I kept running into, I will kept trying Thanks for the response

William

0 Kudos
kmccrone
Level 7

Jump to solution

Right, the tool does not currently have an option to setup a global blacklist.  The limitation of having to have a site designated of at a least 6 characters prevents creating one with wildcards or a series of wildcards.  For example, blocking all of .com, .net, and several overseas domains isn't possible because they are two or three characters short of the minimum requirement.

0 Kudos
browah
Level 7

Jump to solution

Kevin

Thanks for commenting and I will check on your recommendation

Thanks

William

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I use it all the time it is a great tool for blocking specific websites that are not recommended in a work enviroment!

0 Kudos
browah
Level 7

Jump to solution

jkamisky

Was there specific commands or url settings you used to block all the other sites except those on the whitelist?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Guys this is what I do I have a long list

go to

Policy Catalog

Product = SiteAdvisor Enterprise Plus 3.0

Category = Prohibit List

I enter in all three of the following examples.  I've been building my list for a while hope that this helps

example.net

http://www.example.net

http://example.net

Out of respect to the Community I don't want to attach my list because of the content that I've built over the last few months.  If there was a way to share the the list together I would be all for it but I would want to email it directly to you if that is ok with Mcafee!!!

Message was edited by: jkaminsky on 12/3/09 9:48 AM
0 Kudos
browah
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for commenting and I will give your recomendation a try as well as try to see if I can emulate what you did

0 Kudos
bcandrew
Level 9

Jump to solution

We released an add on module to do Endpoint Content filtering of SAE called, " Web Filtering for Endpoint." It is included in several of the new Endpoint suites released in June of this year or optionally as a stand alone SKU (WFE)), you can block all web sites by choosing "Block" on all 96 content categories. Then you can enable access only to specific sites by creating an authorize list.

Sincerely,

Ben Andrew

Senior Product Manager

• SiteAdvisor Enterprise
  • Web Filtering for Endpoint
  • McAfee Network Access Control

0 Kudos