cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobStasz
Level 9

SiteAdvisor 3.5 - Windows 7 "Standard Users"

We are moving to locking down the workstations endpoints in our firm and making all users "standard users" in Windows 7.  Since making that change to pilot users, the McAfee SiteAdvisor service appears to be locked down and unable to be "stopped" through task manager or Sby launching services.msc.  I know that this is expected behavior for some other McAfee related services.  I was wondering if anyone knew if this was also expected \ intended behavior on the Siteadvisor service when logged in as Standard User?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
alexn
Level 14

Re: SiteAdvisor 3.5 - Windows 7 "Standard Users"

Could you name that service and its account under properties?Is it managed or standalone?

0 Kudos
BobStasz
Level 9

Service name:     McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise Service

Log On As:           Local System

It is managed useing ePO 4.6.6 with Polices.  I have verified policies are not hardening in any manner.  So that should not be an issue.

0 Kudos
alexn
Level 14

Do you have VSE on this machine as well?

0 Kudos
BobStasz
Level 9

VSE 8.8.0.975 Patch 2

HIPs 8.0.0.2482

McAfee agent 4.8.0.641

None of the product related policies are set to protect the McAfee services.  I have double-checked.  Our firm recently started enforcing a standard user policy on all machines.  And this arose since that change to user permissions on the local device.

I know that several features in VSE are not available to Standard Users in Windows, such as the unlock feature when the VSE Console is password protected.  I am wondering if this is similar intended behavior for Site Advisor.

0 Kudos