cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sadadmin
Level 9

Site advisor not at DNS level?

Hi

I have just setup and configured the site advisor in the EPO and sent it out to my pc as test. I realy like the policy catalog for the product and it seems to work ok.

Some points of dissapointment.

1) it is a browser plugin and does not work at the DNS level. This means that any one can install a non supported browser like opera and get around the web filtering.

2) the site advisor toolbar can not be hidden without disabling the entire addon and disabling the web filtering.

Please tell me if i am correct about this and if not what can i do to fix.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sadadmin
Level 9

Re: Site advisor not at DNS level?

Thanks, yea I was going to have to prevent use of other browsers and lock the workstations down. Probably be a good thing to do it anyway.

What about chrome support? I see that there is a site advisor extension available for chrome but that does not work with EPO and policy set by EPO.

Do i need to do something else ?

I just think it would make it a lot easier for mcafee and everyone involved if you just did a flat dns redirect instead of implementing browser specific plugins. What about if i load an ftp client and connect to the block sites through ftp or what about if i load a browser from a usb stick, from a portable version ? this would also bypass site advisor. 

It would definitely be better if the blocked sites just redirected like a host file redirects. Plus then if browsers update you do not need to update your browser plugins. It could be a low level dns redirect instead of a browser plugin.

0 Kudos
georgec
Level 13

The chrome extension cannot be managed through EPO.

You can go at https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/ideas and submit a product idea.

George

0 Kudos
sadadmin
Level 9

Then you should remove it from your supported product page. This is realy not going to go down well with the office manager.

Message was edited by: sadadmin on 31/10/11 09:43:24 CDT
0 Kudos
georgec
Level 13

I would if I could, but I don`t work for McAfee...

0 Kudos
sadadmin
Level 9

I have managed to convince the general office manager that the managable chrome client that takes advantage of the web fitlering policies on the epo is in the works and should be done soon. I also said that he can install the site advisor extension that does not support the epo. He is not exactly pleased. But my job is safe... survived another day.

I still think mcafee would be better off making the web filtering work on dns and not based on a browser plugin...

Message was edited by: sadadmin on 31/10/11 11:13:35 CDT
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

SiteAdivsor currently supports Chrome. SiteAdvisor Enterprise 3.5 will add support for Chrome. SiteAdvisor Enterprise is the ePO manageable version. SAE 3.5 beta is currently available.

SAE is investigating how to work outside of the browser in future versions.

0 Kudos