cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fleiva79
Level 7

SAE 3.5 can be easily uninstalled in Chrome

I noticed you can easily uninstall the SAE 3.5 addon on Google Chrome latest version by going to tools, extensions, and choosing to remove the addon. Isn't it supposed to be protected from being uninstalled? Using EPO 4.6 in our environment.

Message was edited by: fleiva79 on 12/8/11 11:22:04 AM CST
0 Kudos
13 Replies
hem
Level 15

Re: SAE 3.5 can be easily uninstalled in Chrome

When you uncheck the Addons, you are not uninstalling the product. It's kind of the disabling it for that brower.

I will suggest you to have the user policy not to modify any browser settings except Admins.

0 Kudos
fleiva79
Level 7

Yes that's what I meant it gets disabled for Chrome. Users are allowed admin access in our environment. So isn't there a way through EPO policies to prevent this?

0 Kudos
hem
Level 15

I am not sure if this will be possible only for SAE.

I will suggest you to submit PER #: https://secure.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/products/products-enhancement-request.aspx?region=us

0 Kudos
chris.g
Level 7

My company uses SiteAdvisor 3.5 Enterprise, I see a setting called Hardening within that setting you'll see a check box you can check that says:

I NEED a way to make it where you can't disable the Chrome version of Site Advisor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Chris

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Just to add that the IE9 is protected via that hardening policy but Chrome is not in our environment either.

0 Kudos
ulyses31
Level 16

There's a way to manually protect SAE to be disabled from Firefox through VirusScan policies, perhaps you can apply it to chrome? (changing affected foders, of course)

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69560

0 Kudos
bfeiks
Level 7

I've got same problems, KB article mentioned above is not a solution for me. I guess McAfee needs to provide a way how to prevent this via EPO Server or how to deal with autoupdateurls for chrome extensions.

Because there are chrome GPO's available where I can put extensionsids for autoinstall and autoupdate of extensions provided from webstore in. those extensions cannot be disabled or deinstalled within chrome by users. However this is currently not working even if i put the extensionid in cause siteavisor is not available in chrome webstore respectively not providing an updateurl pointing to the EPO server either. Realy annoying thing.

0 Kudos
gene0915
Level 9

I currently have an open SR with McAfee on this. I'm using a RTS version of SAE 3.5 (3.5.0.724) and while I can lock down SAE in IE and FF with the SAE policy, Google Chrome and SAE 3.5 aren't playing ball with each other. I might just block execution of Chroms via SAE policy since Chrome is not a supported browser at my company.

0 Kudos
secnet
Level 7

Have a Task that runs once a day that re-installs it. The users will eventually fold.

I also password protect uninstalls when the option is availabled

0 Kudos