cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morph
Level 7

Does VSE scan web traffic

Today I installed VSE 8.8 on my computer. This morning I still had another AV (ESET) and after clicking on a phishing email I was warned by the AV about the website when it opened in my browser.

Since I installed VSE today I thought about testing the same website with VSE but it didn't react. Does VSE have this functionality to scan web traffic?

Regards.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
wwarren
Level 15

Re: Does VSE scan web traffic

VSE does not have functionality to scan web traffic.

I can't think of any client-side product off the top of my head that has actual http-scanning. But based on your description of the other AV warning about the website when opening your browser, we do have that functionality in another product.

"Site Advisor", which is a web-integrated app aimed at telling you sites are trusted or not, and blocking pages with untrusted content. At least, that's how I recall it I'm no Site Advisor expert.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Being from the 'Consumer' side of the equation. Site Advisor Live does indeed scan email attachments/and detects Suspicious/Malicous websites. In fact there is a New Version slowly being throttled out as we speak, with more enhancements and altogether a New User Interface.

Later on to be renamed as McAfee Web Advisor. I happen to be one of the fortunate few that has already been 'Upgraded' to it. I would assume that Site Advisor Enterprise would presumably act the same?

Just thought I would add that

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

(Consumer Products)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
morph
Level 7

Hi wwarren,

I downloaded the Site Adviser and indeed when I visited the website it did give me a warning that it is a fishing site.

Can Site Adviser be pushed through ePO to all the users?

0 Kudos
ansarias
Level 13

morph
Level 7

I managed to install it. Can someone tell me how I can disable this icons being shown on all the links.

icon.png

I tried all the options but I could not find the correct one to disable this.

Also why are the options in the chrome extension grayed out:

option.png

Regards.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to SiteAdvisor Enterprise as a better spot.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

SAE and SA act similarly in Chrome so if I may.  Click on the actual icon in the Chrome Address bar, at the right and select Options.   Turn off the color-coding.

If you don't want them though there isn't much point in having the software installed unless you simply want to check the sources of all downloads, but it doesn't scan the actual downloads themselves.

0 Kudos
morph
Level 7

Hi Ex_Brit,

I was able to press on options and disable the color coding when I installed the applications as a standalone trial (I just downloaded it from mcafee as a standalone program).

Now that I have installed it through ePO the Options is grayed out.

options.png

"If you don't want them though there isn't much point in having the software installed"

Well I just need it to sit in the background and alert me if the site I'm trying to access is malicious. I don't want it to interfere with the site design if all the links are OK. Can that be configured?

Regards.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, this is where we Comsumer Product Moderators shouldn't be hazarding any guesses. do you want me to move this back to say ePO?