cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why hasn't Mcafee's Rootkit detective upgraded the prog since 2K7!?

I just DL'd and tried to use this unstable program and it blue-screened me! Even when I had already ran compatibility mode via win XP SP 2/Admin rights! {Granted, I have win7 so I was able to recover quickly,but that's besides the point!}

To say I'm not impressed with a neglected root-kit removal program from a company that has made it's name on internet/PC security would be an understatement!

4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why hasn't Mcafee's Rootkit detective upgraded the prog since 2K7!?

It was a beta product that has never been finalized as far as I know so really shouldn't be shown on the McAfee Labs page.

I asked ages ago for it to be removed from there but for some reason that was ignored.

I will ask again.

It's not compatible with anything later than XP SP2 anyway - see the Release Notes.

I can only apologise and perhaps suggest other outside tools if you still need them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/10/10 1:30:07 EDT PM

Heh, Ironic that it should be you that would answer my question, as it was your post that was the one I read first!..I posed this question mainly for the staffers here and was content on waiting for thier reply come monday, but I'm still glad you replied, as it now seems that I'm not the only one with a bright question mark concerning the wereabouts of an updated answer.

To be somewhat fair to this co. I've searched high and low and it seems the majority of rootkit removal(Plus 70% of freeware) has yet to upgrade to the best damned OS that I've seen so far. However, seeing as this is 2K10, and the program's date is 2K7 it seems I'm a bit too fair!

Did you get the blue-screen of death as well?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 5

I haven't tried it as I the only machine still with XP is my netbook and my flat mate borrowed it for an out-of-town trip.

I'm not even going to attempt it in Vista or Win 7 x64.

I first asked for that tool to be removed from that web page about a year ago because it was simply too old to be trustworthy.

vinoo
Level 13
Message 5 of 5

Rootkit Detective has been removed from the McAfee Labs tools download page.

Vinoo Thomas
Technical Product Manager, McAfee Labs