cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to uninstall trail McAfee on an new laptop Windows 8

Dear,

I received a trial version of McAfee on my computer (Sony) that was purchased recently (2013), I don't want this product "McAfee" and want to remove it.

After trying to remove it and searching several hours on the internet and contacted McAfee it is still not possible to totally remove it!

I uninstalled this program in the usual way, by control panel. After reboot I run MCPR.

When I execute the program I am asked for a username and an administrator password

I receive a message saying this user could not be verified as the user that installed the product, which makes sense as this is a trial version and I did not install McAfee.

After that I made a recovery of my computer. I found on the internet: if you want to uninstall McAfee you first need to install it ??? So I did that.

I made an account and by this account I downloaded the program, installed it, removed it by control panel and run MCPR.

I got the same error about Family Protection! Then I contacted the service McAfee by remote control. They took over the computer, checked everything, deleted 1 map and he said, reboot and it wil be ok.

No way. Still the same problem!

Answers that I found on the internet.

* You must have installed Family Protection or Anti-Theft if it's asking for user name and password. I don't want to install it!

* If they want to uninstall it, they need to install it, make a account (privacy) and even than isn’t difficult to totally remove it!

If it is a trail version that is not fully installed, MRPC must do a cleanup without a username and password!

I will contact Belgium and EU commission to put a complain that this is illegal and against the law to force people to install software that they don't want.

Also people need to make an account just to uninstall it!

Example: Microsoft Office trail, you just uninstall it and it is gone. IE explorer: after updating you can choose between the different browsers!

An dissatisfied person

38 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Unable to uninstall trail McAfee on an new laptop Windows 8

Pinged a high level tech to check this out. can you post the sr job number from your call to them please.

Highlighted

I just was contacted by McAfee NL. They will soon take over the computer via remote control. They claim that someone has activated Family Protection! This is not possible because the laptop is new and in sealed box.

If Family Protection was activated, it does it by itself at the first boot of Windows 8. I never activated it.

Also by control panel there is only McAfee Internet Security to remove. Nowhere you can find something of Family Protection to remove?

I keep this threat up to date.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 39

Hi vergeetmijmaar It would be much helpful If you could post the Service Request number given to you by McAfee NL Support Team.

Regards

Highlighted

Dear,

After an intervention by McAfee remote control NL they uninstall McAfee by "MRPC old" version.
This went without problems. That is only natural because "MRPC old" do not control for Family Protection!
I followed everything and am satisfied that MRPC old was able to do its job.
However, I remain with the question: what with MRPC (2013)?

Even now, after everything is removed I let MRPC (2013) run, it continues to say that you can not run because Family Protection is active and you have to log in with a user account and password?
How do you explain this!

I also asked what to do if I have a problem within six months. How to do a system restore!
I am convinced that, at a complete recovery of the laptop, I will again have the same problem.
The answer was: You'd better do an clean installation from a Windows DVD.
So at that point I can throw the recovery away! I get alot of work by download all drivers and install programs independently.

We all know that laptops come with preinstalled software. But if you do not want that just de-install and you can continue, except for McAfee.
Now I have a lot more work to do without a recovery.

Analysis of the story:
Brand new laptop (in closed box) with software that you can not uninstall McAfee (complete!).
After hours of searching the Internet no appropriate solution. Apparently many people have problems with MRPC and Family Protection.
2 days after reporting the problem they had a solution for my (single?) Problem! I had the feeling that they really wanted to help me, thx for that.

With an "old MRPC" they got it done. weird is not it? But why does MRPC still say that Family Protection can't be removed. There is no software of McAfee anymore on the laptop installed?
The solution does not work for a recovery of the laptop. Then I have the problem again!
I have mixed feelings about this story.

I'm really thinking to buy a second (same) laptop and if I have the same problem to report it. Maybe that there is a problem with Sony Vaio and McAfee (MRPC) and that they should release an update?

PS: I report it to McAfee NL with another name, so pm me if you need more information. I have the McAfee Remote nr and McAfee Dutch Customer Service nr

Highlighted

Sorry tried but we mods never use family protection we are too old

Selvan might contact you if he does he will help if he can.

Flagged this issue with the high ups as well

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 39

Hi vergeetmijmaar There is one thing we can try. Deleting the traces of Family protection from registry might help. I can take remote control of your PC for doing this. Send me a PM with your convenient time.

Highlighted

PM send, thx

Highlighted

This does not help?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100686

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101035

Though how you got it activated is strange. NL guys should fix it up.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/07/13 6:54:31 AM
Highlighted

This does not help?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100686

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101035

Though how you got it activated is strange. NL guys should fix it up.

Thx for trying to help me. I am also a IT assistant and I already found your links. I do not post after 1 hour of search. I’m trying to find a solution since Saturday. So that is 4 days of search.

Double-click the Family Protection icon in your taskbar: I don’t have that and it is not installed!

On Sunday the remote assistant of McAfee took over the laptop. Did not find any background program, he just deleted 1 map. That I could do also! He say, reboot and it will be ok, pff, I know better.

Below you will find the solution of the NL group. They solved it, but not in total. I cannot do a recovery. It will bring me back to my problem and they recommend to reinstall by a Windows DVD!!!

The sollution: " OLD MRPC "

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community