cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

TechCheck Ripoff

Why does TechCheck not clean up all the problems?  Turns out to be a c'mon pimp job to get remote connect and have the customer now pay for some "premium services"?  Why the harsh?  Software is incomplete in functionality, and Chat support doesn't..... 

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: TechCheck Ripoff

I moved this to Consumer > General discussion.

TechCheck?   Never heard of it.   McAfee Technical Support is entirely free of charge by phone or online chat and listed below but beware, there are a lot of chop shops masquerading as support and they are even calling people trying to con them out of money.

That said, McAfee does have a service called TechMaster which is an all-in-one Technical Support and Virus Removal Service and that is chargeable.  But there's no need really for that unless you are in a hurry and willing to pay.

There are free malware removal tools, see the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

It's a McAfee offering all right

https://techmaster.mcafee.com/FreeDownload/us

TechCheck page.PNG

Highlighted

Strange that never came up in a Google search when I tried to locate it.  I stand corrected.   It is merely a tool that checks for problems, then it steers the user to the paid help.

As I already pointed out, there are free alternatives.    I haven't seen that one before, so may ask a few questions about it on our conference call with McAfee on Monday.

thanks for pointing it out.

To the original comment, it isn't a rip-off as the service is professional, and many people prefer to have problems sorted out by someone else rather than go to any trouble.  All the big A/V makers offer the same kinds of service, paid and free and I do see a link, albeit small, for the free services to the right of "Contact Us".

- where did you see it advertised?

Next time use the Virtual Technician, http://mvt.mcafee.com/ for your home products, it can often fix things without need of a technician, and any phone call or online chat session with the free support asks you to run that first.   The Technical Support and Customer Service (accounts, billing etc.) side of things is entirely free of charge.

Enterprise or commercial customers have the McAfee Portal to ask for help.

Highlighted

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 8

Hi

coxdavi wrote:

Why does TechCheck not clean up all the problems?  Turns out to be a c'mon pimp job to get remote connect and have the customer now pay for some "premium services"?  Why the harsh?  Software is incomplete in functionality, and Chat support doesn't..... 

TechCheck as the name indicates is a utility to check PC for Errors/Vulnerabilities and report if you need Technical Assistance for rectifying the problem. McAfee TechMaster Service has an Annual plan wherein users whom already paid for the services will get benefited from TechCheck utility. Assume if user's PC has a new issue and needs immediate assistance.

To conclude, you can use this utility to check your PC for Errors/Vulnerabilities however the rectification will be done by Professionals available as a Premium Paid Support. More Info on TechMaster Services available in the below document.

Please note that this service mostly covers Non-McAfee issues and that you can avail free Technical Support for McAfee Products in case you have an active Subscription to any McAfee Product Suite.

Highlighted

Thanks for all the responses.  I appreciate them.  Yes, I know about and used MVT first.  I used TechCheck as a check on the condition of my PC as I was curious about what the check would bring up.  It gave a list of several conditions and asked to fix or not.  I chose the fix and most of the conditions were cleaned up, leaving two that required professional services to fix if I chose.  These were termed "nice-to-fix" items, so not critical.  I called the support number I was given after I asked the Chat professional if they could give me the resolutions to the two fixes.  They refused and told me to call the support number given.  I called and got the same response.  I know that if issues exist with McAfee software, I would receive good support as I have in the past.  I know that McAfee is in business to make money, but I figured that I could do the fixes myself, but Support, whether Chat or on the phone, were not willing to provide me with the information.  I think that's what bugged me the most. 

Thanks again for all your responses, but I think this issue is closed. 

Dave     

Highlighted

OK, good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community