cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with notifications not accepting responses.

I recently had to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Total Protection on my home computer because I was having the issue related to the white box that was found to be a Java based issue.  The reinstall went fine and I have not had any other problems except for when I plug in a jump drive it gives me a notification to scan the drive.  This notification also comes up when I launch a program that requires the internet and McAfee doesn't recognize it.  This is normal and that is not my problem.  My problem is that when that dialog box comes up, I'm unable to click any of the buttons whether it be the Scan or Don't Scan in the "Removable Media Drive Detected" dialog or the Program requesting access.

This is what the Removable Media Drive Detected dialog box looks like:

McAfee pop-up 1 (still image).jpg

This is more a nuiscance than anything because when it does pop up. I'm unable to get it to close.

I have since done the following:

Updated Java to the latest version available.

Ran McAfee Virtual Technician

Here is a snapshot of my system specifics:

speccy.jpg

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies
k3tg
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problems with notifications not accepting responses.

Try to do an uninstall and reinstall again but I suggest you also run the preinstall tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

So please uninstall and reinstall and reboot computer....then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool which removes all traces of McAfee that might be leftover and reboot again.....then run the preinstall tool.....then login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. This has some more information http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Make sure your up to date withs all Microsoft updates prior to performing this procedure and you did not mention what browser you use. For example even if you do not use Internet Explorer you need to make sure it is updated to as McAfee relies on IE to run so make sure Chrome or Safari or whatever other browsers you might use are updated too.

Let us know if this works for you

Message was edited by: k3tg...to include the ts101331 document on 4/1/14 7:48:43 AM EDT
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

We have seen this very rarely I did a search of the forum posts and found two threads the best is

https://community.mcafee.com/message/165943#165943

The solution is as Tom above suggests though they never found the cause.

Yeah, I was just trying to remove it from the computer using either Add/Remove Programs and it would hang on this window:

McAfee box 3.jpg

I could click on Remove a hundred times and it still wouldn't go past it.

I'm going to attempt to remove it using the MCPR tool and follow the steps indicated in the post you mentioned.  Hopefully it will finally get resolved after doing this.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

There must be some sort of corruption preventing it continuing.  MCPR should completely remove everything.   The reason why it's best to uninstall the normal way first is simply to reinstate 1 license on the account but if there is a problem because it wasn't done, Customer Service can sort it out anyway.

Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hi hedwar2009,

This seems to be an issue with jscript - please check if MS Visual C++ 2010 or later is Installed. Also McAfee uses IE to render UI - you might try upgrading or downgrading IE and see if it resolves the issue with UI button.

The current versions of C++ installed on my PC are as follows:

C++.jpg

The computer has Internet Explorer v.11 installed but I rarely use it because I prefer to use Firefox and/or Chrome. I couldn't see this as being an issue but I will reset it and even go as far as downgrading to 9 or something and see if that helps.

I also figured I would go ahead and rerun McAfee Virtual Technician after the latest reinstall of the software and I got this result:

McAfee Virtual Technician results (mfencbdc driver settings) (04-03-14).jpg

I went ahead and let it "fix" the problem file hence this:

McAfee Virtual Technician results (mfencbdc driver settings) (supposedly fixed)(04-03-14).jpg

However, if I let it complete, reboot the computer and attempt to run Virtual Technician once again it identifies the same driver settings as being incorrect.   Could this particular file, driver, whatever it is be the source of the issue?   This did not happen until I started getting the white box when I attempted to check McAfee.

Message was edited by: hedwar2009 on 4/3/14 10:54:46 PM CDT
Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Hi hedwar2009,

I have sent you a Private message - please respond to proceed further..!

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community