cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee VSE Interferes with Online Gaming

Hi,

I recently installed McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise, and ever since, have encountered frequent connection issues while playing online games (specifically, League of Legends). My connection has failed every few minutes, with the disconnects lasting about 30 seconds to a minute each time. This issue does not occur while browsing the internet or using Skype, so my guess is that McAfee is blocking either the game's connection or Adobe Air (which the game requires); however, as VSE lacks a firewall, I do not know how it would be doing so (and thus I cannot fix the problem).

I had been using Symantec antivirus software until recently, and I never had any problems with disconnections before installing McAfee. I did make sure to uninstall Symantec before I ran the McAfee installer, and while running the McAfee installer, removed Windows Defender when prompted to do so.

In case it matters, I am running Vista 64-bit on a Gateway laptop.

Note that I tried running the McAfee Virtual Technician, but no problems were detected.

I did find a similar discussion (https://community.mcafee.com/message/255352) but the issue is slightly different and appears to be unresolved.

If anyone knows how to fix the frequent disconnects I have been encountering, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Neuromancer

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee VSE Interferes with Online Gaming

Problems with online gaming? With an Enterprise version of McAfee? That's quite possible.

Why have you got an Enterprise version on your machine? I'm assuming that you're not talking about a PC in an office (in which case your employer must be a great employer to work for).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/09/12 06:08:30 IST

No, it is on my home computer. I am using it because it was a free subscription provided by my college for students (hence the switch from Symantec - I transferred).

If Enterprise is primarily for offices, then the interference with games would make sense... Is there any way I can fix it, or should I be looking at getting a different antivirus program?

Thanks,

Neuromancer

Highlighted

Enterprise version is highly customizable-- speak to your college IT and understand the setup on your machine- that is the best way. There could be settings/ rules enforced that might be causing this issue.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community