cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 24

Re: MVT shown in "Add/Remove Programs Listing"; Have tried to remove it...unsuccessfully. Any suggestions?

Jump to solution

Welcome back πŸ˜‰

Re: MVT shown in "Add/Remove Programs Listing"; Have tried to remove it...unsuccessfully. Any suggestions?

Jump to solution

Hi Pete,

MCPR will not remove MVT.  It is only for cleanup of McAfee suite. 

Can you pl. reboot the system and then check if MVT is still listed in the Add/Remove programs. 

Pl. let me know.

thanks.

lakshmi

pc3
Level 7
Message 13 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello lakshmi!

As this post has been around for quite some time, I would not have expected any further replies to it.  In addition, (as you may or may not be aware), I recently requested April Jacobs to delete my McAfee forum account altogether (for reasons I cited to her and a moderator).  So, in order to reply to your message, I had to re-create another account here.

Restarting my computer has no effect on the problem.  The MVT still remains in the Add/Remove Programs Section.  To be blunt...I gave up on even wasting any more of my time trying all the various solutions that were proposed to resolve the issue.  The way I see it...it's just sitting there and not causing any obvious system problems for me...so I'll just leave it as it is.

Regards,

Pete C.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Jump to solution

Pete, there is a glitch with the board software that is preventing user name deletion.   I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

Highlighted
spc3rd
Level 10
Message 15 of 24

Jump to solution

As always...thanks very much, Peter!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 8/31/11 8:53:54 PM EDT

Jump to solution

Hi Pete C,

Did you try TuneUp Utilities 2011 to fix the problem?

spc3rd
Level 10
Message 17 of 24

Jump to solution

Hello TheCreator,

At present, I already have an abundance of programs, such as, CCleaner, Defraggler, NTREGOPT, etc etc. I appreciate your suggestion though.

As indicated before, I've just decided to forego trying any more "remedies" to this MVT issue.   It's a lost cause in my view and I'm frankly...just too tired and worn out to waste any more time on it.   My thanks to everyone who has tried to help with the issue. 

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Jump to solution

Hi Pete,

I found this while looking for another MVT issue. You're probably going to have to live with that stray MVT entry in Add/Remove Programs, because I read through the Microsoft article that Ex_Brit flagged, and it looks as if there's a setting in the registry which didn't get deleted. Windows looks at the registry and finds an old entry there for MVT even though you got rid of it. Presumably when you re-installed MVT it created a whole new set of registry entries for that installation. Unless you want to mess with the registry (not advisable) it's just going to show up in Add/Remove Programs until your Dell bites the dust ....

I think this thread can probably be marked as Assumed Answered, given what you said above ("It's a lost cause ...").

spc3rd
Level 10
Message 19 of 24

Jump to solution

I appreciate the additional info, Hayton.

I've gone ahead and clicked on the [Mark as Answered] button for this one so you can close the thread altogether.

My thanks to everyone again for all the help!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 9/21/11 3:43:23 AM EDT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 9/21/11 3:46:32 AM EDT

Jump to solution

spc3rd wrote:

Hello TheCreator,

At present, I already have an abundance of programs, such as, CCleaner, Defraggler, NTREGOPT, etc etc. I appreciate your suggestion though.

As indicated before, I've just decided to forego trying any more "remedies" to this MVT issue.   It's a lost cause in my view and I'm frankly...just too tired and worn out to waste any more time on it.   My thanks to everyone who has tried to help with the issue. 

Hi Pete C,

" It's a lost cause in my view" You simple want to remove an Entry in Add or Remove Programs in your operating system of Windows XP Professional Edition with Service Pack 3.

Everyone tells you to stay away from Registry Cleaners, because they had bad luck with them.

Perhaps, once the Rocket explosed at the Launch Pad, the U.S. should have given up. If it doesn't work, don't waste time.

TuneUp Utilities 2011 will do what you are trying to do, without you, yourself having to edit the Windows Registry.

Once TuneUp Utilities is installed and it runs One-click, which will help, it doesn't touch Add or Remove Programs.

Open up the Main Program. Click on Optimize system. Click on Uninstall unneeded programs.

That action brings up TuneUp Uninstall Manager.

Locate McAfee Virtual Technician. Highlight it. Click on Uninstall. If it saids it can't be Remove, click on the Down Arrow and click on Remove Entry.

Once it is removed, you can Explore TuneUp Utilities or open the Windows Control Panel. Click on Add or Remove Programs and verify that it has been removed.

Your Free Programs, can't do this, to my knowledge.