cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVT showing missing com files

Jump to solution

Hi. Do I have this discussion in the right place?

I read about this in posts from January and first now experienced this problem.

My Security Suite was just updated thru my ISP to: version 11.0  build 11.0.678.

I ran MVT after reboot and showed 2 issues. 1 is an incorrect registry key for email scanner which I can't see how to turn on in this new Security Center, (I use web mail anyway), and 2 component path not present... some PS factory buffer. (would send screen shot, but don't know how to do that)

When I clicked auto fix, it repaired the email scanner, but not the other one. I did this yesterday. Then, today, when I went to rescan with MVT, it wouldn't load...at all. Nothing. I uninstalled MVT and reinstalled and ran a scan and it shows same 2 issues.

Is this the same thing I read about in January and it is first catching up to me (I know ISPs are slow in updating their "free" Security Suite)  or is this a new issue? Security Suite seems to be working fine.

Any thoughts?

I just read somehad had the exact same problem just recently.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 6/7/12 6:23:24 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 20

Re: MVT showing missing com files

Jump to solution

Hi guys.  I've just pinged our resident MVT experts, who will provide some more insight shortly.  I can tell you that while MVT is not updated along with McAfee protection software updates, it is configured to update whenever it runs.  So you shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall it.  It should always have the latest build upon execution.

That said, I believe this was a case in which one particular set of components in McAfee protection software was updated, and the list of updates somehow did not get added to the list that MVT cross-checks against.  Rare situation, but we're on it.  Sorry for any hassles caused.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Jump to solution

I just noticed this problem today

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/46042?tstart=0

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Jump to solution

I just answered in  your thread...known issue and you should disregard it.   It's an MVT issue not your software.

Jump to solution

Thanx. I am still puzzled tho as to why my MVT would'nt even load after the "fix" I did.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

I think it's best to uninstall after every run and then reinstall.  It's really designedas a one-off tool.

Mind you, I'm guessing that.

Jump to solution

Yeah, I did un/reinstall of MVT. Found same missing com issue, but this time I didn't bother fixing it.

Is MVT even necessary. Do other brand scanners/suites have a virtual technician?

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution

I don't know if they do or not but would assume at least some makers have their equivalent thereof.   MVT was developed solely for use when the software starts misbehaving but the trouble is it's only updated periodically whereas the software is constantly updating and sometimes, as with this com error, it lags behind.

Jump to solution

I see. Maybe MVT should be part of the whole McAfee update as is Site Advisor.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Jump to solution

I think it's formulated by a totally different department.   Who knows, they don't tell us!   😉

Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

Hi guys.  I've just pinged our resident MVT experts, who will provide some more insight shortly.  I can tell you that while MVT is not updated along with McAfee protection software updates, it is configured to update whenever it runs.  So you shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall it.  It should always have the latest build upon execution.

That said, I believe this was a case in which one particular set of components in McAfee protection software was updated, and the list of updates somehow did not get added to the list that MVT cross-checks against.  Rare situation, but we're on it.  Sorry for any hassles caused.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

View solution in original post

Want to Ask a Question?
Many members like to perform a search first in case other customers have already asked and answered a similar question. However, to ask a question, first select a forum then click on Post a Topic. You must sign in or log in with your existing credentials.

McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password to log into the community.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community