The following issue began occurring on October 7th following an update which required closing of the McAfee software (Total Protection). I am very rarely asked to restart my computer, probably because of the relatively large amount of RAM installed (32GB standard RAM). The issues described below are occurring on TWO of TWO Windows 7/64 bit computers that I own which are on the same network -- although, I have tried removing them from the Network, but the same problem exists, and does not go away, even following reinstallations from a different network (or from wired connections to the internet by either computer NOT connected to any other computer (excluding connections to the internet for access needed to install Total Protection).
My McAfee Personal Firewall version is 17.4.159 -- When I run McAfee Virtual Technician or MVT, I am getting a notification that tells me the personal firewall service is not running AND that Web Advisor is missing two files. MVT tries to fix (after AUTOFIX option and/or individual fix attempts with checkmark, but MVT cannot fix either problem. The problem involving 2 missing Web Advisor files began after I reinstalled Total Protection (at first, I had only the report by MVT that the personal firewall service had failed. After reinstalling Total Protection, both problems surfaced. I should mention that everything seems normal. Even Web Advisor APPEARS to be working. When downloading a file with either IE11 or with Chrome (current version), I am told that Web Advisor has scanned the file. However, I do not know if it is actually doing so, or if it is accurately scanning to root out malware.
I have tried reinstalling Total Protection WITHOUT USING MCPR, AND ALSO AFTER USING IT. In fact, I tried reinstalling Total Protection several times, and each reinstallation ends up with MVT reporting the same problems. I have also tried reinstalling MVT -- without any difference in the results.
I have tried both the AUTOFIX option and the checkbox adjacent to the found problem. However, when Total Protection is opened, all appears normal. The firewall is indicated as ON and my computer is SECURE, all according to Total Protection. These problems first became apparent on October 7th, 2017 on TWO of TWO Windows 7 computers in my home.
The McAfee Firewall Core Service in services.msc is NOT running. I can start it MANUALLY, but when I restart my computer (Windows 7 64 bit), that firewall, AGAIN, FAILS TO START. The option to change the startup method from manual to automatic or otherwise is not available. Only the manual "option" is in the box, without any alternative options for this particular service. Even after many reinstallations of Total Protection, these McAfee Core Firewall Service options have not changed at all. Exact same thing on another Windows 7 laptop that I own.
The exact name of the service which is not running after startup is: McAfee Firewall Core Service, and the service points to a file with the name: mfefire
For all I know, this particular service PERHAPS is not supposed to be running. This is easy to conclude, inasmuch as the software (Total Protection) is reporting that the Firewall is on.
The versions for the component parts of Total Protection are as follows (taken from ABOUT on the home page of Total Protection):
Total Protection version 16.0.4
Security Center version 16.4 Build 16.4.187
Virus Scan version 20.4 Build 20.4.167 Engine version 3134
Personal Firewall version 17.4 Build 17.4.159
Web Advisor version 4.0 Build 22.214.171.124
Anti-Spam 17.4 Build 17.4.165 Content Version 6135 Engine version 126.96.36.1999
Parental Controls Version 18.4 Build 18.4.165
Quick Clean and Shredder version 16.4 Build 16.4.171
Vulnerability Scanner version 6.4 build 6.4.152
Screenshorts from services.msc attached.
I would be grateful to get some help on this problem from a moderator or anyone else who is knowledgeable on this subject.
Thank you, in advance.
MODERATORS, PLEASE HELP ME
Message was edited by: Zeewatchful Eye - substantial re-organization and editing of text and attachment of screenshots on October 13th, given that no one has replied.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thank you very much, Selvan. I do confirm from my end the issue appears resolved. I now get an indication there are "no problems found." Once again, MVT is working as it is supposed to work. At least insofar as verifying that everything is okay, it is fine. Thanks, once again. (Sorry it took me a number of days to get to this issue and to reply.)
FYI this has happened before and it was simply an update to MVT that was overdue to cure the situation.
Hopefully they'll fix it shortly.
Yes, ;you are correct. I recall this happened with the McAfee Analytics issue, as well. I waited what seemed like an eternity for the updates to come out -- at least, it seemed like an eternity. To be sure, it was definitely more than a month. I hope they recognize there is a problem, because they will not try to fix anything short of that recognition.
I will bring it up as a "Topic of Discussion" on our upcoming Conference Call.