cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

MVT found a problem; said it was fixed-do a restart; and it's not fixed. What now?

Jump to solution

I have an HP Laptop running Vista SP2 64 bit and my McAfee was acting funny so I ran the McAfee Virtual Technician. It said:"Security Center 14.0.339 and Ref#1142849--Update trusted Microsoft Certificates-Requires restart. So I did what was asked and restarted and ran the MVT again. The same problem came up. How do I fix this?

I did exactly what it asked me to do, but it still shows up as a problem. At the time this happened, I was running a full scan, and suddenly, without warning it stopped on it's own without me doing anything and I caught a glimpse of something that briefly flashed in the task bar at the bottom--in black and white---cmd. and something else. Then everything went wrong. Nothing worked. It was not until I restarted the computer that I regained some measure of control.

However, since the restart, whenever I run the McAfee Virtual Technician, I get this same message with a big red X. This is obviously a big problem and I can only follow the directions I was given. I have...to no avail. Please tell me what else to try since seems to be very important.

Thank you for any assistance in advance!

Wildfire

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: MVT found a problem; said it was fixed-do a restart; and it's not fixed. What now?

Jump to solution

Hello Peacekeeper! Just had my session with the Tier 2 Tech person and you'll never believe the explanation! He took control of my computer, which I very much dislike, and ran the MVT and got the same results as I got.  He then proceeded to tell me that because I had recently done all my Microsoft updates that MVT conflicted with something in those updates and that this is a recently acknowledged compatibility fault between Microsoft and McAfee that would be addressed in the next version of MVT. He had no idea when that "next" version would come out. He also said that I should just ignore this message as it would re-occur every time I run MVT. He said that my "TRUSTED  CERTIFICATES" were alright and I shouldn't worry.

Thank you for your attempt to help me. I'm sorry I took so much of your time. The only upside to this is that if someone else has this problem, you can tell them what he told me....Just Ignore it.

Thank you again,

Janet Woods

19 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 20

Re: MVT found a problem; said it was fixed-do a restart; and it's not fixed. What now?

Jump to solution

Three things

1. is this a new download of MVT if not remove the old 1 and reinstall it.

2. Second try a full uninstall reinstall as per

Reinstall Mcafee

3. If still an issue call support they might be able to say what is wrong.

Support portal

Running vista is getting old Mcafee new versions do not support it that is why your install is an older version.

Jump to solution

I will try the things you mentioned and get back to you. I realize Vista is a dinosaur but I don't know how to go on to something newer. Where do you go? How much will it cost? I'm lost!

Jump to solution

I uninstalled the copy of MVT (it was from April of this year) and ran the scan again and it came back with the same problem...Security Center  14.0.339 ; Ref # 1142849...Update trusted Microsoft Certificates...Restart Required.

On to your second idea... complete uninstall and re-install of total McAfee. I will try that next.

Question about your third presumption... You said newer versions of McAfee don't support/work with Vista. Are you certain about that? If that is true then I will not be able to renew with McAfee in April of 2017.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

MVT finding a problem is not unusual and doesn't mean anything is wrong necessarily.  You said your software was acting strangely, how so?

Vista is supported until at least its end of life on 17 April next year, 2017, but after that you are basically on your own.   The software usually continues working with an expired system for about a year, but certain features will be degraded as they only pertain to the currently supported OS's.

That certificate issue may have something to do with the fact that Vista uses IE9, but of that I'm not sure.

Technical Support is free by phone or online chat if you wish to go that route and is linked at the end of your MVT session or HERE.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

Update windows a CERT update for vista might be available.I did email a tech re this the update of windows and Chrome update if you use it was his suggestion if reinstall failed to help.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution

Thanks PK, I'll leave it to you 😉

Jump to solution

I have done as you asked. I did a complete uninstall of everything McAfee on this computer. Then I went to your website to re-install. When the re-install was completed and everything was configured and as it should be, I re-installed the MVT and ran it.  The very  same error codes came up again! And everything was brand new! I am at a loss.

I misspoke in my earlier post, my subscription ends 3/13/2017, not 4/2017.

What's next?

Jump to solution

I forgot to add, after I uninstalled McAfee with the Control Panel>Programs menu, I also downloaded and ran a fresh copy of your MCPR tool to make sure everything was really gone.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

Is Mcafee working ok if so I would forget about the MVT issue. I will pass your result onto the tech.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community