Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

MVT crashes after installation

The crash has happened twice in succession, after installation. Click to start it running and - crunch.

MVT crash.PNG

11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: MVT crashes after installation

People are also reporting that it tells them their system clock is wrong.  Bala seems to think there's an issue with it currently.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 12

I believe the system time check and the above crash are two different things.

The time check is the same check that has been used for a long time as part of the pre-install checks. As of Dec 12, it is now also a part of our Top Issues check for MSC, to address some issues that can arise. The time check only triggers if the time is more than 60 minutes out of sync for a world time server ,

For the crash, how far in the scan does it get before it crashes? I think it might be the same as another crash that has started very recently.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Crashes at the very start of the scanning process. First it has to download and install the latest version of MVT, so it's already gone through a number of steps.

Specifically :

- Definitions + Accept / Decline

- Installing MVT (download core.cab)

- Ah. A different one. "Installation failed".

I will uninstall MVT and start again from the beginning.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 16/12/13 19:41:33 GMT
Highlighted

Re the time check culd it be daylight saving time not being noted correctly by the PC of the world server?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Uninstalled, re-installed. It got to the start phase, a window with a 'Launch' button. Click the button, and it crashed again (for the 3rd time).

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 12

For the crash, I'll need someone from the MVT technical team to weigh in. I've already sent a mail.

For the time server, we are using http://www.worldtimeserver.com/, which should take all of the daylight savings rules into account.

If there are issues with it though, Bala should bring it through the standard internal channels for reporting a problem.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 12

If anyone wants them I have 2 log files from the last crash - MVTInstaller.log and drwtsn32.log

Highlighted

Hi,

We tried to repro the crash on few machines (localized and en-us) but we were unsuccessful. Could you provide us the dumps collected and also mvtapp.exe process dump?

thanks

Raghavendra

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 12

2 log files and relevant extracts from the Dr Watson file have been sent by email. Unfortunately the dump file was overwritten by a subsequent (and unrelated) IE failure.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community