cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop notifications breaking full screen applications?

Does anyone know how to stop notifications breaking full screen applications?

I've turned off everything I can find, setting scans for 2AM etc and I'm still getting notifications about "nothing", basically advertising, breaking full screen presentations at least once per day and up to 5.

Is there a way to prevent this other that uninstalling McAfee Total Protection, I could understand If I was using a free or base level product, but I'm not.

I "shit canned" AVG for this very reason, I don't need to know there was nothing found and no-one hacked my system, in the middle of a lecture for F_ck's sake!

22 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 23

Re: How to Stop notifications breaking full screen applications?

Can you post a pic so I can see what part of McAfee is doing this. Once I have that I can ask in our Monday moderator call where it comes from and any way to restrict it

See picture, yeah, I replied to my own post instead of yours sorry.

Note the "0" protections, it'd almost be funny if it wasn't so annoying.

This was about an hour into a screen capture, and about 2 hrs after a full scan was done manually.

Mcafee.jpg

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Yeah That was strange The full scan had finished 2 hrs before?

It does the same thing if it does a scheduled scan,

while I could see the logic in a big red flag if it finds something,

it's just damned annoying when it interrupts everything just to tell you it's there.

My only solution at the moment is to completely disable McAfee Total Protection it when I need to work,

of course then Microsoft chimes in every 10 minutes to remind you it's not enabled,

at least they've woken up to themselves and put in a STFU switch, when it works.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Maybe do not do any scan in a day prior to you doing such. I am not seeing this after a scan I get a box in right hand corner the full screen popup we all get is at boot and that will be fixed this month in 16.0.6. I am trying to figure what is triggering this maybe you have not said done after the scan finished?

Does this occur if no scan had been done?

It's a thought, I have always set daily scans, I'll reduce the frequency to a week and see what happens.

No, you're right it clearly hasn't done a scan, nor a Windows update check or a Vulnerability scan,

the boot one isn't such a problem because it's predictable,

what I'm getting doesn't happen unless I've been in full screen for at least an hour or more,

usually under load, who knows it might be the same bug.

At least I'll know the settings menu's back to front, I'll report progress if there's any.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Good luck

Since setting scans to the first monday of the month, after my last post, I ran the full suite of tests, and have left the machine on.

So far it's popped up to ask if I want to shred my empty recycle bin.

Then again to to tell me it had run a scan and found nothing, but I was protected.

Again to tell me the vulnerability scanner had found a program that needed upgrading, so I ran it and it came back to say it found nothing and I was "Good To Go".

4 Hrs later it booted me out of a session, on the last track, and I did in 2 hrs wages for 12 people, to ask if I wanted to run another f_cking virus scan.

I get 3 or 4 popups like this every day on all 5 PC's and both laptops, fortunately my server is running Solaris so none of this bullsh_t is going to worry it.

I suppose this isn't a real bother to most people, but when it matters, you can't turn the crap off.

While I've been typing this it has popped up again to ask if I'm "Ready for a Virus Scan", Do I wish to install "True Key", and to tell me 4327 files were protected on my last scan.

Seriously, this is not the way to advertise a product to the people already using it.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community