cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee

Did you speak or chat with a McAfee Consumer Support tech recently? Tell me how it worked out for you.

With this newfangled Community page up and running, I hope you'll share your experiences openly and regularly.  If it was great, I'll praise the Agent and encourage more to be just like him/her.  If it was bad, we'll see what we can do to get things fixed.  Glad you're here.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
0 Kudos
125 Replies
Nychus
Level 7

Re: Did you speak or chat with a McAfee Consumer Support tech recently? Tell me how it worked out for you.

Well this isn't really about the agents, but I tried to use the chat recently, I filled out the form and all the formalities, after which I was shown a link to download the chat client. Only thing is the link directed me to the customer support page, where I could not find at all how to download this chat client. Obviously I didn't manage to get a response to my inquiry

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Re: Did you speak or chat with a McAfee Consumer Support tech recently? Tell me how it worked out for you.

Couple possibilities.  Last Tuesday evening (US - Central Standard Time), we had a scheduled maintenance, which may have prevented the Chat client app from opening.

If it wasn't last Tuesday, maybe pop-up blocker on your system could have prevented the Chat install from happening.  After entering your personal information, you are led to a page like the one that's attached to this post, as a picture.  If you have pop-up blocking enabled, it can prevent you from seeing the resulting window, that leads you into the chat.  See this link, which explains how to turn pop-up blocking off:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909604.

I checked into whether we've had any issues on the back-end, which could lead to chat functionality problems, and nobody has reported anything.

By the way, if you're a new McAfee customer, or have installed McAfee software within the last 30-days, you can talk to our agents by phone, for free.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: tromine on 11/10/09 12:45 PM
0 Kudos
Domokos
Level 7

Unfortunately, the two times I have used the Live Support it has not been a positive experience.

Upon the advice of repair technician I switched from Norton to McAfee.  After downloading McAfee Internet Security I could not print from Word Perfect and my Internet Explorer window had a black band across the tool bar that contains my favorites button, suggested sites, etc. as well as the command bar.

I contacted Live Support and got Sajeer (chat log 105064588 - I saved it) who was less than helpful.  After disabling the fire wall with no resolution of my problems he advised me to contact my system vendor or ISP.  I've attached the conversation.

At no time did Sajeer offer to go into my system and try to resolve the problem.  I even suggested that McAfee might not recognize my printer.

After closing the session I uninstalled McAfee and my problems were resolved.  When I reinstalled the program without many of the features which did not feel I needed I was still okay.  I then contacted Live Service again to let them know that they had not helped me and that McAfee was indeed the reason I had a problem.  I got someone named Teena.  She didn't seem to listen to me, however she did take over my computer and looked around, then changed a configuration that allowed McAfee to recognize my printer.  Bare in mind that I was able to print at this point anyway.

Today - the security centre updated and NOW I once again have a black band over the toolbar and command bar of Internet Explorer.  Obviously the update reinstalled whatever it was that was causing the problem.

I'm really not happy with this program or the service I have received to date.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Domokos,

Sorry to hear of this.  I'm forwarding your case to a special escalation team for handling.  They'll be in touch soon.  And if this is indeed a product issue, they'll collect some data that can help our development team ensure it gets addressed.  Thanks for your input.  I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this.

Tracy Romine

Consumer Support Product Manager

0 Kudos
Domokos
Level 7

Thank you!

I would really like to get this black bar on Internet Explorer resolved.

0 Kudos
grrranimal
Level 7

In a word, awful.

I used the live chat service -- spoke with Prasannakumar, GoToAssist_ChatLog_105341866 -- and got a complete runaround, ultiately resulting in Prasannakumar "hanging up" on my by terminating the session.

Instead of receiving tech support, I endured repeated attempts to up-sell me to another McAfee service.  I found it to be not only a terrible customer support experience, but also a cynical business practice.

I was left with the impression that McAfee has little respect for its customers.

My experience of being infected with a Trojan Horse despite McAfee "protection" has left me doubting the value of the product.

My experience of being poorly and ineffectually treated by McAfee's tech support -- and having my problem treated as an upsell opportunity -- has left me a disaffected customer.

If you are able to intervene to help me recover my previous faith in McAfee, that would be most appreciated.  In the meantime, I'll be looking up the date when my McAfee subscription expires.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Grrranimal,

Saw your post while our on Christmas break.  Been thinking about ways to improve the Support experience.

First off, the infection that occurred with your machine is one of those unfortunate situations where a new virus or variant of one must not yet have had a signature entered into our DB.  According to the latest (Dec 2009) AV-test.org virus detection research, McAfee is #1 against all competitors when it comes to identifying and stopping bugs.  But nobody provides 100% protection.  I think the upsell you were getting was likely for Virus Removal Service.  The Support agent you were working with is an expert on our products, but not on the dirty work of virus removal.  We've been trying to figure out some way to provide this costly service to McAfee customers without it breaking our bank, or yours.  But bottom line, the agents handling this service have to be highly trained, and it can be a time-consuming call...which raises costs.  On the software side of the business, our people are working on some new technology development that will only improve our protection results.  In the meantime, I'd like to recommend you run this free program: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=d... .  It is often successful at ripping out the trojan I think you got stung by (Fake-Alert).  Did you get pop-ups that told you you were infected with a bunch of things, and then attempting to get you to buy another product?  If so, that's the dog.

Get back to me if you're still having trouble.

Tracy Romine

Consumer Support Product Manager

Plano, TX - USA

0 Kudos
grrranimal
Level 7

Hi, Tracy:

Thanks very much for your note.  I've been a while in replying, as I've been on the road.

Your note is warm and helpful, and it makes me think that McAfee may have a clue, after all, if they've got a bloke like you doing this job.  Thanks for giving McAfee a kinder, more caring face.

I understand the business problem you allude to -- ie, needing virus removal not to break anyone's bank -- but the customer service experience on live chat was just terrible. Trying to up-sell customers when they're at their most vulnerable simply isn't acceptable, given that McAfee trades on selling peace of mind. 

After posting my original note to you, I received a direct phone call from another India-based McAfee support person.  This was almost three weeks ago, before I began my travels.  The call lasted quite a while; I would estimate between 30 and 60 minutes.  Whilst I was impressed that someone had called me to address my concerns, it soon became apparent that the customer support person who had called me wasn't willing/able/authorised to provide any additional answers.  It was simply one of those "I'm here to understand your concerns" calls.  Given the nature of the experience that had raised my initial ire, that call did nothing to claw back any of the shreds of my good will toward McAfee.

I asked the customer service rep, repeatedly, what McAfee was going to do to remedy a virus breach from which its product had failed to protect me, and he continually referred me to Virus Removal Department, which, as you and I both know, sits behind a credit-card wall.

In the end, he told me someone would contact me further upon my return from traveling.  I gave him the date of my return -- today -- and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

You seem like an excellent voice for McAfee's customer service, Tracy.  The rest of the policies, processes and systems I've encountered, however, have been alienating.

All the best for 2010.  --grrranimal

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

grrranimal,

Good to hear back from you.  The Virus Removal thing is a real quandry for us, but your input and others like it is getting the wheels turning here at McAfee.  We are weighing our options, pertaining to Virus Removal for McAfee-protected customers.  We just had a technological breakthrough this past week, pertaining to software protection against the so-called 'FakeAlert' family of malware, which has eluded nearly every vendor of antivirus software.  McAfee will continue to top the AV tests.

If and when policy changes on Virus Removal for McAfee customers, I'll shout it loudly through the forum and the Support pages.

0 Kudos