cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 81 of 126

Re: Did you speak or chat with a McAfee Consumer Support tech recently? Tell me how it worked out for you.

From the one posting I see in the Community Forum, I cannot tell what your exact problem(s) are.  Let me know the specific problem, and I'll see what we can do for you.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
mckennat
Level 9
Message 82 of 126

Re: Did you speak or chat with a McAfee Consumer Support tech recently? Tell me how it worked out for you.

The problems I have remaining are those discussed in the thread "Various Errors are OK".

But, as last stated there, I'll just live with the problems.

My impression of this thread was to discuss interaction with McAfee support reps, and not addressing specific problems.

At this point, I'm more concerned with the McAfee technical support than I am with not being able to use the VT.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 83 of 126

Hi Mckennat,

Please let us know if we have used the latest version of virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com , check if it reports the correct status of your mcAfee products.
Note :Do not run any registry cleaners before you execute the virtual technician as in my personal experience I have seen cases where it removes certain active keys of your antivirus programs.

Please do report back if any issues and let us see what best we can do for you to get this fixed

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

mckennat
Level 9
Message 84 of 126

I did run the latest verstion of VT from McAfee.

I did run the Registry Mechanic prior to that.

The VT does not recognize I have any McAfee programs.

I've already stated, I'm not going to uninstall/reinstall again.  I just won't be able to run the Virtual Technician which really shouldn't be a problem since the McAfee support folks I chatted with either wanted to ignore it or tell me the error messages were not reliable.

Ref: Service Request #: 540484990 - Chat support disaster that leads to CSR mayhem.

My Customer Service experience wasn't that great either.  The only number given for Home users is 1-866-622-3911 which provides confusing ESL Eastern Indian people who basiclly try to get you to try chat tech support even after you've told them that you've tried that and had a terrible experience and no resoloution to your problem.  Their next attempt is to try to get you to whipp out your credit card for phone based tech support.  When you tell them that you've paid annually for McAfee's subscription for 4-5 years, this makes no difference and you become MORE frustrated when they tell you again that you have to pay for phone based tech support, even when you point out that the chat based support fails to resolve your problem.  Idea for McAfee's:  If your chat based support doesn't work, a customer should recieve a free session with phone support since chat can't figure it out.  On top of this CHAT SUPPORT should be allowed to extend this same offer.  If it's that much of a problem that a Teir I support person can't reslove a paying customer's issue, then that's not MY fault and i shouldn't be charged for it.

Consideration:  there's a 95% chance that a customer who calls Customer service is going to already be irrate.  Patience is running thin and now you want them to remain calm while an ESL CSR fails to understand half of the customer's frustration.  Are you TRYING to loose customers?  Put yourself in our shoes and see what amount of frustration and tension is reduced when you're asked to whip out your credit card in less then 2 minutes AFTER the 5 minutes it takes for the CSR to figure out your account info.

Another consideration:  I've paid my subscription in U.S. Dollars - American currency.  I feel that i'm entitled to speak to someone whose natural/first language spoken is American.  With the economy the way it is right now, I won't accept any response regarding not being able to employ an American citizen.  Anyone who has called McAfee's Customer Service can tell you that it's a script based job and requires little to no training.  Literacy and basic computer skills are the only requirements for this job.

When i asked to speak to a manager i was left hanging.  There were NO audible indicators of my call being transfered or put on hold (beep's and boop's that cue you into the transfer of a call or any on hold music).  Instead i'm listening to silence for 10 minutes out of a 16 minute long call effectively having my cell phone minutes eaten up.

Consider this:  The more time a customer has to wait, the more time they have to come to the conclustion that if it takes THIS long to talk to someone, it's obvious that a great deal of people are having A LOT of problems with a software program.  The more i wait, the less confidence i'm going to have in the program i'm having an issue with and ultimately i'm not even going to bother with it, uninstall it, and cancel my subscription.

micnoman
Level 8
Message 86 of 126

Trying to get support from McAfee is the worst experience of my life!  I have now had four sessions with these guys and still no solution.  Last night I was up until 1am whilst they virtually rebuilt my PC, which was totally unnecessary.  The McAfee registration database is screwed up and shows conflicting information telling me my software will deactivate in 7, 6 5... days. It also showed me as having the same PC activated 8(!) times when I only had three licences.  I reinstalled the software as per McAfee online instructions with no affect. The Virtual Technician loaded but never ran; no error messages or anything, it just never happened after clicking it.

Getting in contact with tech support is a mamoth job in itself, what with having to enter personal details, which Mcafee already have, then downloading some software.  And this had to happen each time I needed to chat to someone; recall I meantioned above - FOUR times!

As per the other people on this thread I found the guys intentions were good but technical capability absolutley non-existent.  They are extremely polite saying "thank you" for this and "I reallly apologise" for that, but they do not read the messages you send and ask for things you have alreadsy told them.  It appears they have a script and will not (or are techncially unable to) deviate from it irrespective of what information you provide.  They then tell me to go away and do exactly what I had done before. After last night's one and a half hour session they decided it was a problem witht he database (which I had tried to tell them originally) and they will have to talk to somone on Monday.  Meanwhile I have to reload McAfee on two PCs every 6 days to stay protected.  I even spoke to a lady about about my account and she said she would increase it to 30 days before deactivation whilst they were fixing the problem.  She never did this. I asked her why she couldn't just reset it to the correct deactivation period and she told me she was not allowed to give me more than 30 days.  This is what happens when you outsource; I received an email from McAfee.Assurance@SutherlandGlobal.Com. For reference the call to them was 484570-543456090. when things started going bad I recorded my other chat sessions and have referenc numbers SR-543543882, 543456090 and 542948164.

I don't know what they have done but I now have two PCs. where it was only one before, telling me I have 6 days before dactivation.  The attached two images showing the account details on line for my two PCs (it says three licences used, but only two showing in the database!), and also the 6 days warning on Security Center on my PCs.

I have been in IT all my life, and am a senior IT manager on a military site, but have never come across anything as dire as this.  There is no way on the McAfee website to escalate issues or contact someone directly. It seems this forum is the only way and I stumled across this by accident.  Everything is so impersonal.

The truth is the guys are doing the best they can, but they do not have the necessary knowledge and experience to deal with these problems as the simple things get sorted through the FAQs and online help. By definition these gys get the REAL problems in most cases.

I would like to think that I get a personal email back on this one, not a simple follow up in the forum.

Highlighted
micnoman
Level 8
Message 87 of 126

Jayadeep, thank you for trying to help, but I think you missed the point of my rant.  Having done everything that McAfee Support and your sugestions (which had already been tried) three times over, nothing worked. Even the McAfee support guys could not sort it out.  I finally got a call yesterday from McAfee support saying they had a problem with their database (what I had been saying all along!) and they needed to fix it and change something on my PC.  After less than ten minutes everything worked fine.

The point I wanted to get across on this forum is that the support guys do not come across as "experts" and are simply following a script.  I find that they do not take into account anything you tell them that may help make a correct diagnosis of the problem. They always assume (understandably in the majority of cases) that the problem is on the client PC.  But after banging their collective heads against a brick wall for three days I would like to think that they would have escalated this to third line support sooner.

I'm not blaming the support guys for this as it is not their problem.  They are given a task to do for which they are not fully equipped. I have worked in senior IT positions for the past 25 years and have always found this to be a problem when outsourcing support.  I am just concerned that having got to his situation there is no direct path to internal McAfee expertise.

See attachment

McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 89 of 126

Romeoalfa,

I'm giving your information to our Operations Manager in the UK.  Sorry for the delay in getting this resolved.  We'll get this taken care of.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

Good day Latest situation--I received my first phone call from McAfee on Mon 6th Sept--lucky I was available Representative told me he was  'to tier' response He took remote control of PC and told me he would phone back when he was finishd After about an hour of activity got phone call as promised Problem still there---and I was told I would be contacted via phone on Fri 8th Sept This is the third time a rep as tried to sort this out---not counting the number of 'chats' We shall see what Fri brings

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community