Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bubu76
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Black screen after Mcafee Security Center update to v 11.6.443

Jump to solution

This comment is to explain and share what I have experienced recently with updating Mcafee Security Center (MSC).

Mid December, after an update of MSC with version 11.6.443, I got a black screen when starting the PC (Dell, Windows 7, 64 bits) and Windows. At this time, the solution was to go back to a previous restoration point, with MSC 11.6.435.

Beginning January, I contacted by mail the hotline (in French) about the problem.

First, in the reply, Mcafee indicated: “in effect, there is a problem with the last update on some PC with Windows 64 bits”. But later, I never got any information about what was the problem.

So, I called the hotline and they used a remote control on my PC for uninstalling MSC and reinstalling the last version 11.6.443. Result:  I had no more the black screen, but other problems raised such as no more internet connection, some Windows functions no more working. After that, no effective discussion was possible with the hotline: for them, the conclusion was only that my Windows was corrupted. So, we stopped the phone call there.

And, I went back again to a previous restoration point.

During the following month, I tried again to update MSC, but the results were still the same with black screen with 11.6.443. Except that by this way, I got each time the last virus definition file which is not impacted by the restoration process.

In February, I went away for vacations during several weeks. Coming back, I tried again the update and I had the expected result, the MSC version was no more 11.6.443 but 11.6.477. And the PC starts without any problem!

It confirms that the problem was not in my PC, un/reinstalling MSC was useless and only a MSC version with fix was necessary.

Nevertheless, I do not understand how Mcafee knowing problems can leave online versions with bugs. This is very detrimental for Mcafee brand image

Now it is working, automatic update is again activated, and solved until the next time

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: Black screen after Mcafee Security Center update to v 11.6.443

Jump to solution

Bubu,

Thanks for taking the time to share.  I'm not sure if this particular issue you experienced was a known bug, or whether it was perhaps a corrupted file just on your system.  But your tip about being more forthright with customers about any 'known issues' sounds reasonable.  Glad your issue is cleared up.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

View solution in original post

3 Replies
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Bubu76,

Sorry for the headaches you've endured.  I've read your comments and will be passing this thread onto our Product Management and Development teams.  There is always room to improve, and I think you may have helped me to spot one area of need - communication.  Software updates, especially with something like Security software, are necessarily frequent.  If what you've described were indeed known bugs, I'm sure we could have done a better job of proactively communicating the status of our actions being taken to fix them.  Thanks for the input. 

bubu76
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks Tromine for your comments.

I had not so much headaches as long as I had some way to go around the problems.

But, after the call with the hotline, I was a little bit frustrated by:

- no info about what is the problem

- the way the call had finished, leaving me without progress for solution with rev 11.6.443

I send my comments to the French Mcafee support to describe what happened during the call with the hotline, but I didn't get a reply

So, I made up my mind by expecting that I have just to wait for a new MSC update which will solve my problem.

Effectively, it happens with rev 11.6.477 which seems to work well, but it took more than 2 months to have this version

On my side, as you write it, I should have appreciated to have info about what is the problem (if it is known) and to be informed when a new version is available with a fix.

In addition, if it is necessary to wait for a new version, a simple process should be made available to keep nevertheless the virus definition up-to-date, day by day.

Do you need more information ?

If not we should close the subject as I have no more need as it is working

Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Bubu,

Thanks for taking the time to share.  I'm not sure if this particular issue you experienced was a known bug, or whether it was perhaps a corrupted file just on your system.  But your tip about being more forthright with customers about any 'known issues' sounds reasonable.  Glad your issue is cleared up.

View solution in original post

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community