cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD Win7 x64 NETIO.sys while using utorrent and sometime youtube

Last few days I have had several Blue screens crashes while I am using utorrent. At times the crash happens 5 minutes after opening utorrent and sometimes after an hour. I searched the issue on many forums

and looks like everybody attributes it to McAfee.

This is a new laptop that I am using and I have updated all the drivers that I could think of to the latest available versions. I am currently using WIN 7 SP1.

The message with the crash is "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal".

Please let me know what all details I need to provide to get help on this. I also tried to change msconfig startup options and removed McAfee stuff from the startup list to see if that works well, but the crash still happens, coz looks like some of the McAfee programs are still loaded in RAM on startup even when Virusscan enterprise is not started.

I have attached one of the dumps that gets created with the crash. Please do let me know what else is needed.

I am hoping for a solution. Please help!

Thanks,

Varun

9 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: BSOD Win7 x64 NETIO.sys while using utorrent and sometime youtube

Would you be willing to remove McAfee, to see if that has an impact?  I'd be very cautious downloading (let me rephrase) I would not download anything on utorrent or anywhere else without AV installed, but it would be nice to determine whether McAfee's presence impacts the issue. 

Best method:  do a standard uninstall of McAfee, and then run the MCPR tool, that's the 'McAfee Product Removal' tool, which cleans all traces of product. 

Please reply back after doing this and we'll follow-up with troubleshooting with you if required.  Also, are you sure you're not infected with a virus?  www.mcafee.com/virusremoval

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

Thanks tromine.

I am willing to try as I do not download much using torrents. Just do it once in a while. I can try downloading a large file which I am sure does not contain a virus

Also I am quite sure that it is not a virus cos I keep my AV updated and the moment I got the first BSOD some time back I ran a full system scan. It found nothing.

Just that before uninstalling I need to find the McAfee software that came with this laptop so that I can reinstall. Once I uninstal McAfee, will post back.

Thanks a ton!

Dinz
Level 16
Message 4 of 10

Hi Varun,,

Just noted that you have mentioned about Virus scan enterprise in startup . Could you please confirm if its the enterprise version of McAfee programs that you want to remove  or the consumer versions ?

Regards,

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I ran the dump file through a dump analyser and the driver file on the top of the stack was mfeapfk.sys, which I'm pretty sure is part of VirusScan Enterprise. The actual faulting driver was, as the poster said, netio.sys and the address causing the fault was was "netio.sys+11b2d". The report says this is a 64-bit 4-processor system.

A partial listing of the stack is below.

BSOD stack listing.JPG

I am sorry that I could not get back earlier.

Yes I have Virus Scan enterprise. I have uninstalled both the enterprise and the agent using the Windows uninstall. and is now trying to run MCPR tool. Once done I'll try to run utorrent again and see if I get this problem again.

Thanks,

Varun

Okay!

Removed McAfee and for the last 2 hours I have had no BSOD while before it was crashing like every 5 minutes.

Will try to update the status in another 6-8 hours whether I get any crash or not.

DO you guys think this is an issue with McAfee and can we do something about this as I have seen a lot of people havin this problem when I googled for it?

Thanks,

Varun

Wish you all a fantastic morning!

After removing McAfee, I did not get even a single crash till now and I am happy for it.

At the same time, I will have to get some other AV because I am not sure whether anything will be done to resolve this issue.

Please do let me know if I need do submit some more dumps that can help solve this issue.

Thanks to all!

Dinz
Level 16
Message 9 of 10

Hi Varun,

Thanks for posting back your status , however since you are using the enterprise versions of McAfee programs , please feel free to contact our enterprise support or post on the section for any issues

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/system/vse

Regards,

Hi There,

I have also come across exactly same problem.
I first spoke to uTorrent people and they said it's the problem with McAfee.

I unsinstalled McAffee and tried , it woks fine,

so its pretty sure that mcafee is the culprit.

Its widely known on utorrent forum.
just google it "utorrent BSOD mcafee"

or "utorrent crash mcafee"

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CFwQFjAB&url=htt...