cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webuser101
Level 7

website can't remember the login info

I bought a new pc running windows 7 64-bit home edition.  For some reason the following website can't remember my login info:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/

I tested it on windows vista 32-bit Home ed. and windows 7 64-bit Enterprise ed.  They can remember it.  The only thing they don't have is an installed McAfee system.  So it seems to be how my McAfee SecurityCenter is set up.

Can someone help me to resolve it?  Thanks.

on 12/11/10 1:22:32 PM CST
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: website can't remember the login info

It could be that VirusScan is removing the tracking cookies which you need.  Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter.

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Uncheck Tracking Cookies (under 'Threats')

Click Apply

Now click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items in the list below

Click each drawer to expand and restore the items when you find them.

This is assuming you have the 2010 or 2011 product which have a shield-shaped taskbar icon.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/12/10 4:10:46 CST PM
0 Kudos
webuser101
Level 7

Thank you so much! It makes sense!

Last night I spent half an hour on McAfee on-line chat with a "tech" in India (my guess from his name).  He said both my ISP and computer are the causes of the problem, not the settings of McAfee.  Then I realized it is going nowhere, and almost started to uninstall McAfee and install other security software instead.  This forum is a much better resource.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Meanwhile avoid doing a scan for now & try following the advice I gave another user with an identical problem here if it happens again:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/30610?tstart=0

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to SecurityCenter 10 - 2010.

0 Kudos
GMAXEY
Level 7

I am the other poster with the same issue.  Personnally I believe the common problem is non-nativve speaking English tech support (be it Indian or whatever).  They all have a canned response that I rarely can understand let alone implement.  I think that the user should have the option to decide what they want to trust or not.  If I don't mind certain tracking cookies then I should have the option to select them and add them to some sort ignore list.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The new 2011 version does have that ability, it's in beta testing now.

0 Kudos
GMAXEY
Level 7

Peter,

That is good news.  Do you know if version 11 will be available (as an upgrade) to users that have their subscription via a new Dell PC purchase?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Hopefully it will eventually be available for Dell customers.  Unfortunately Dell controls when that is as they customize the user interface to suit their requirements.  In my experience it's usually late spring, early summer before that happens.

It's available as a public beta test right now, but be warned it's the full Total Protection, you can't avoind taking all its compoents.  However you can opt not to activate certain parts if you don't need then, such as Anti-Spam, Parental Controls etc.

Support is through a Bug Reporting feature and through a dedicated private area of these forums but NOT through the regular Technical Support Chat..

Read more here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/12/10 7:59:27 CST AM
0 Kudos
GMAXEY
Level 7

Thanks for your help and the information you provided.

0 Kudos