cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Your Computer is Not Fully Protected" message

steve1cottrell wrote:

", but it will not allow me to remove it."

True, it is not the easiest set of products to remove, but it can be done.  I have used McAfee products since 2000 (and Network Associates before that).  The problem(s) will be resolved, although <sigh> probably not painlessly.  When I ran into a similar set of problems (pre-Virtual Technician times), I parked myself with coffee & donuts, and proceeded to uninstall everything, and THEN removing what was missed.  I then completely re-installed all the products, and everything was once again well, and there was much rejoicing.

On a more serious note, I have posted elsewhere that the entire panoply of "not protected" scenarios are based on timing procedures.  I am about to test this as follows:

1.  When notified that an update is ready, ask to be reminded in 15 minutes (or whenever ...).  This is possible since I do NOT automatically install ANY updates, whether the source is McAfee, Microsoft, Mozilla, Adobe or anyone else,

2.  After saving and/or closing everything, I intend to "stop" McAfee System Guards, real-time scanning and spyware protection.  As an added protection, I will (probably) shut down the net interface.  (The updates will already have been downloaded and scanned.)

3.  Next, run the McAfee update(s).

4.  Re-enable everything (in reverse order) and see what shakes out.

5.  Lastly, re-boot to see if the problem recurs at boot-up.

After that, I will probably call "Ghostbusters" (Sorry, it's on the tube right now!)

One problem with that above scenario SeanMc98 is many people don't have the time or patience to "test" various scenarios when the whole purpose of security software is to be as unintrusive as possible. Let alone many (most) people, myself included are a little hesitant to be fiddling with starting and stopping processes. I hope your little tests will figure something out and the information gathered will help sort out this mess, but we should not have to figure it out for ourselves. That should be McAfee's problem and a valid explanation why this is happening should be given (but it has not). I'll wait a little longer for a fix....If not they will have lost me as a customer.

saty
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 143 of 153

I do not believe most of my "NP" problems are related to updates

They happen long after the Update is done

Has there even been an offical acknowledgement fro McA that there is a PROBLEM ????

Like "We know, we are working on it" ?????

This has been MONTHS

Message was edited by: saty on 12/4/09 4:55 PM
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 144 of 153

To remove Mcafee follow instructions in remove link in the Uselul links tab

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/12/09 4:02:05 PM
cpmdoc
Level 7
Message 145 of 153

I have exactly the same issue popping up every couple of hours.

I have watched this thread with interest and followed much of the advice regarding checking the hard disc, running MVT etc. but to no avail.

I am surprised that there isn't a greater amount of input from McAfee as it seems to be a fairly common problem and that they are failing to find a solution.

I suppose next on the agenda will be uninstall and reinstall.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 146 of 153

Be assured they know of it we mods  mention it regularly in our Monday calls. This and the verify issue can have several causes and i suppose at the moment they are working on  finding the cause. It is hard to tie down as none of the mods here have had it on thier machines . I will remention it Monday.

I do know they are aware that a lot of this issues is caused by corrupted or missing Mcsubdb.dat files and they are working on a tempory workaround till they find what is messing around with these files

Just to be sure remove any former AV products with its recommended cleaner before installing Mcafee. This includes adware plus and any program running real time scanners. Also ensure (except for win 7)that windows firewall is disabled if you are running mcafee's.

Ensure also that your PC date and time is correct

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/12/09 6:28:02 AM

I don't really care any more if McAfee know about the problem or not! This thread evidently started on April 11 and has had 11,298 viewings since then. I admire the Moderators and have tried several of their suggested fixes. I am not a computer nerd that can race through a long string of "delete, add and other typical commands -- it is kind of painstaking and time consuming as hell! Several years ago I had another persistant problem and quit McAfee and installed Norton. Then some time ago McAfee came up with the free virus protection system on AOL so I switched back -- and now it is "Good Bye McAfee" again, never to be retried! If it truly was a free package, then I could understand the poor, or non existant, support, but this is ludicrous! I don't need any virus checker on my Mac so as soon as I have finished the transfer of the important files from my PC I'll put a bullet through that machine from Hell -- including the corrupted, irritating unusable McAfee software! And I find it hard to understand why so many of you are hanging on to such a faulty system! But good luck to you anyway!

Roger

Dalan
Level 7
Message 148 of 153

Bravo Roger!!  Unfortunately I'm the local "computer nerd" in my arera and whenever someone has a problem they call me.  The first thing I ask them is, "Are you using McAfee?"  If the answer is "Yes," I tell them to take their computer to the local computer store because I don't work on computers with McAfee.  You'd be surprised how many of my friends have shit-canned McAfee.  And to add insult to injury, I get stuck uninstalling McAfee because it's like a virus itself and keeps coming back if you don't comletely uninstall it!  McAfee is J-U-N-K!

Highlighted

yeah i was in the process of unistall and reinstalling mcafee for the 3rd time, when i decided to jsut leave it unistalled and i tryed the free Microsoft Security Essentials. Maybe once they fix the issue ill change back but microsoft securty essentials is working great at the moment.

Well I decided also to leave mine unistalled, too bad I still had half a year left. I went out this morning and picked up a 3 user Kaspersky Internet Securirty 2010 for 30 bucks. To those who are waiting for a fix good luck. I'll check these forums once in a while. Good Riddance McAfee.