cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Installation Incomplete" and tech support is starting to invade my life

I was pretty excited when I found out all Optimum Online customers were being given access to McAfee.  I was less excited when it took several days for the download to even work.  When it finally did, I received the message "Installation Incomplete.  We were not able to install any of the security features in this program."  Well then.

I did some googling, and I tried uninstalling all instances of C++ and running MPCR or whatever you call that program that uninstalls all instances of McAfee.  Same result.  That's when I resorted to calling tech support.  At first, they tried doing exactly the same things despite me telling them that I already tried that.  Then, when it inevitably didn't work again, they said they would bring it to Tier 2.  I'll admit that when I have my computer, the most personal possession I own, controlled remotely from India, it feels a little invasive.  However, when tech support contacts me three days in a row before work one day, after work the next, and during work the following day so that they can spend hours controlling my computer, deleting things from the registry, and doing other things I don't understand, and then asking me if there's a consistent time they can call me every single day (There isn't.  I have an erratic schedule.), it begins to feel very invasive.

I think I might start using AVG or some other free program or firewall because tech support just won't admit to me that this is a lost cause, and I'm getting sick of devoting hours of my precious internet time to letting them mess around with my laptop from the other side of the world.

Advice?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: "Installation Incomplete" and tech support is starting to invade my life

First of all there should be no need to uninstall any Windows component and in fact, you should make sure that Windows is absolutely up to date in all aspects, including Internet Explorer even if you never use it.

You haven't mentioned what operating system and service pack (if applicable) this is.

Also the prime stumbling block for installation of the software is incomplete removal of the previous security software, so what security software did you have installed prior to this and what do you have installed now?

Tech Support need to connect with your machine in order to ascertain the problem.   But maybe that isn't necessary if you give more information.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/07/14 9:30:13 EDT AM
0 Kudos

I use Windows 7, and I had SpyBot and iObit Malware Fighter, both of which were removed before attempting to install the program.  I've also used AVG in the past, but not recently, and just before I tried to install McAfee, I was using Total Defense Plus as my primary anti-virus software.  I uninstalled it before attempting to install McAfee.

Message was edited by: forsakenmermaid on 7/21/14 10:44:21 AM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Thanks.  That's Windows 7 SP1 I trust.  A right-click of Computer amd then open Properties should tell you that.  You can find that either on your desktop or in the Start Menu.

Also open IE and check the version in Help/About please.   If it isn't IE11, update it from the IE site at Microsoft.  As I said, it doesn't have to be your default browser but nevertheless it is important that it be kept current.

Spybot has been shown to have problems with McAfee in the past so make sure all remnants are gone as per this:  http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall/ note the bit about hidden folders.

Use the Iobit Removal Tool:  http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html

Total Defense Plus also has some removal instructions and a tool here:  http://totaldefense.iyogi.com/?p=2579

I suggest running all those steps first.

Then uninstall whatever McAfee software shows in Control Panel > Programs and Features and run the MCPR cleanup tool (always use a fresh download as it is not self-updating) from here:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and then reboot.

Try the installation again from your online account, not from any media you may have.

If you feel the need for any 3rd party tools to help protect you, I suggest reading the last link in my signature below for some hints.

0 Kudos

Yes, I have Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.  I tried running all of the programs you listed, and it still doesn't work.  I'm ready to look for an alternative since there's no point in having anti-virus software that won't install.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Just out of curiosity when you open Windows Security Center in Control Panel, what does it say for antivirus and firewall?

BTW you never commented on IE, is it IE11?   This is important because certain processes use it, even if you don't.

Also is Windows totally up to date?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

By the way, the reason I'm asking all these questions is because I know for a fact that Iobit in particular, is absolute hell to remove from any system and I'm willing to be that's why you are having this trouble.

Are you comfortable with going through the registry to clean out traces of it?   If not I would seek the help of a computer expert, PC repair shop or similar.

0 Kudos

Yes, IE and Windows are both the most recent versions.  The tech people already went through my registry and cleaned out all thet races of iObit.  The control panel says Windows Firewall is active for Home or work (private) Networks and not for Public Networks.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

...and I assume it also says no virus protection ?   Then if they did all that I'm not sure what else to suggest other than contact them again, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  Give your last Case ID # and ask for escalation..  Otherwise settle for something else as you suggested.

0 Kudos

Where would it say "no virus protection?"  I didn't see anything that said Windows Security Center in the Control Panel.

0 Kudos