cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows reporting no firewall or virus scanning product is running on every boot

I recenlty purchased an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and reinstalled WIndows and all my software including Mcafee Total Protection.

On every windows boot Windows Action Centre reports 3 error messages saying that no firewall or virus scanning product is running. A few minutes after boot these messages go away.

I never had this issue with my older OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

What is not clear to me is whether there is a problem or not? Is Mcafee not starting correctly and then Windows corrects it or is it just a timing issue where Windows is reporting an error too early? I can't see any error messages in the Windows event log.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My system is Windows 64bit, P67 Sandy Bridge board,

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows reporting no firewall or virus scanning product is running on every boot

I can only assume it's the old problem of Windows Security Center having a delayed response to installed security software which is not usually something to worry about.  

You aren't very specific about what operating system and service pack this is, can you clarify please?  Right-click My Computer (XP), or Computer (Vista/Windows 7) and select Properties and read off what it says there.

Just in case run the Virutal Technician: http://mvt.mcafee.com/ to see if it fixes anything.   Uninstall it afterwards as a new one is released fairly frequently.   It will be listed normally as a programme in Control Panel.

Re: Windows reporting no firewall or virus scanning product is running on every boot

Thanks for the reply.

I ran MVT and it found an registry error with security centre, but this has not fixed the issue.

I have Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

I assume also it is related to a delayed response. Mcafee seems to be working ok but still not sure if this is a problem or not.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I've seen this happen on my machine but only very occasionally.   Check that all updates for Windows are installed, including ones for any parts of the system you may not normally use, such as Internet Explorer if you use another browser, etc.

if the problem persists then I would open a case with Technical Support, you can contact them free of charge by phone or online chat, see the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Highlighted
adella
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

I have the same problem

----------------------------------------------------

You can visit me here:

My website: http://appnaz.com/android/sun-nxt-com.suntv.sunnxt

My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allison.hadid.12

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community