cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anixon
Level 7

Windows Explorer 'Not Responding'

I am writing scripts using the scripting language published by http://www.autoitscript.com/
I have the SecurityCentre 9.0 installed with everthing in Computer and Files Protected switched on.

With this configuration up until about five days ago everything was working as one would expect. Given that Security Centre 9.0 was running the recommended McAfee settings at all times it had no affect on the process of me writing the scripting, compiling and running them like any other executable.

The updating of my Security Centre software is automatic as I run an always on Internet Connection.

About 5 days ago if I clicked on a folder containing a AutoIT script which had been compiled [using their compiler] Windows Explorer [Explorer.exe] would simply hang and eventually give the message 'Not responding'.

In addition the AutoIT files within the folders were not being displayed with their appropriate icons applicable to *.ini or *.txt. In addition Vista would not allow me to copy, paste, move or delete the file or the folder.

If I launched the executable scripted.exe then it did not run the process however it appeared in the Task Manager Process List but not using any CPU. In this condition it took the Task Mangaer considerable amount of time to actually launch and display the processes. CPU usage spun out to 100% but I could not determine which process was causing that problem.

Together with the McAfee software I am currently running Windows Vista 32 Home Premium SP2 and Windows Explorer 8, Safari, iTunes, MobileMe, Quicktime Player, Office 2003, Outlook. Everthing is up to date.

This problem is resolved if in McAfee - Computer Files & Configuration I switch Virus Protection Off [Disable]. I also notice that it is not possible in 'Advanced' configuration to add my Script to the Trust List of Programs.

My question is why the sudden change to how the system responds to AutoIT in particular compiled scripts and secondly how do I add my compiled scripts to the Trusted Program List.

Replies are always appreciated Ant..
0 Kudos
13 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Windows Explorer 'Not Responding'

With the current home products it isn't possible to add to a trusted list except in the case of some minor PUP's (possible unwanted programs) and even then it doesn't always work.
We've asked them to reinstroduce this feature which was in place around 2 - 3 years ago.

The answer is to submit files to the Threat Center.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=228125
0 Kudos
anixon
Level 7

Thank you for the response. I guess one solution is to simply dump McAfee given that my compiled non commercial scripts are under constant development. Perhaps the reason that my compiled scripting simply stopped working given that I have made no changes is that they fixed an issue which is better not to talk about.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If you submitted a basic example to the Threat Center they may send you an "Extra.DAT" which may, I can't guarantee it of course, cover any of the detections.
0 Kudos
anixon
Level 7

Hi Peter thanks for your response.

I think for the time being I can isolate McAfee from my working environment by running up my development on another HDD with its own Windows Vista partition and then when finished submit to McAfee as suggested.

In the meantime I can let the AutoIT community with commercial interests work through the issue.

I guess when my McAfee subscription falls due a review of what is available in the market and dare I say Microsoft offerings might be the time to exit the building.

Regards Anthony
37 55 26.41S 145 11 53.48E
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It sounds like you'd be better off with the Enterprise products which allow such flexibility.
0 Kudos
anixon
Level 7

Based on T.Time your evening meal should just about be on the table.... Thanks for your responses I'll keep you plugged in if you are interested. Ant.. from the Deep South
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

LOL...I actually ate somewhere between the first and second post. Let me know what happens.
0 Kudos
anixon
Level 7

I have updated my profile as we have something in common [Aviation]. Father was a Royal Marine from Sheffield [Barnsley] migrated NZ 1939 Ant..
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I was an army brat myself. My late Dad was a Major in the RAOC.
0 Kudos