cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam8988378
Level 7

Win-Patrol with Security Center?

I have SC 9.3. I also have Quicktime, which is determined to add itself to the startup group. As I only use it for itunes once or twice a week, my old, underpowered computer doesn't need useless programs running. I know a program which keeps this from happening http://geekswithblogs.net/thibbard/archive/2005/03/21/QuickTimeKiller.aspx , but this requires me to have .NET running, so it's exchanging one program for another. I used to have Ad-Watch (pt of Ad-Aware) which kept Quicktime caged, but had to uninstall this as it doesn't play nicely with the Security Center. A long time ago I used to have the free version of Win-Patro. It also kept programs from adding themselves to startup, and used few resources. Would I again be able to use Win-Patrol with Security Center? If not, is there some function in SC that I might have missed which would make Quicktime behave?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Win-Patrol with Security Center?

I don't see why not. I still have it installed in my XP OS's and no problems so far.

If you have Vista there is also "Software Explorer" in Windows Defender/Options where startup programmes can be disabled.
0 Kudos
sam8988378
Level 7

Thanks

I have XP amd didn't notice Defender being as vigilant as Win-Patrol or Ad-Watch, but have toyed with options & will see what it can do (it did notice my unchecking qttask from startup in msconfig).
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: Thanks

qttask is Quicktime? I dislike Apple software intensely because it always thinks it takes a priority over everything else. If you have Quicktime player look up "Quicktime Alternative" using Google...far less obtrusive.
0 Kudos
sam8988378
Level 7

quicktime alternative will satiate itunes?

I've heard of quicktime alternative (in my now-solved quest to import video to my ipod deemed unworthy of converting or importing to my ipod by itunes). Will itunes run with quicktime alternative? Will I still have to start Bonjour to open itunes?
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

RE: quicktime alternative will satiate itunes?

That I don't know I'm afraid. I no longer have an iPod and any Apple software installed.

Best ask those sort of questions on an Apple or iTunes support forum.
0 Kudos