cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwidunn
Level 7

Weird error message after scanning

I'm running Win7 SP1 and McAfee SecurityCenter 10.5.  The OS and computer drivers are all fully current and updated.  The security suite came pre-installed on a Dell computer.

The problem I'm having is this: McAfee scans for viruses, etc. and shows the results.  Then, a box pops up saying: "Message from Webpage -- Failed to create IDispatch."  This most often occurs when I right-click on a files to scan it. (I have attached a .PNG file with a shot of my Desktop, so that people can see what I'm seeing.)

I can't explain this; it just started happening a couple weeks ago.  Before that, the software seemed to be working fine.  I ran Virtual Technician and applied whatever fixes it said were necessary.  The problem has not gone away.

Any ideas: (A) what this message means; and, (B) wat I could do to fix it?

Thanks.

McAfee Error Message.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jaymfe
Level 12

Re: Weird error message after scanning

Matthew,

Is iolo Technologies' System Mechanic or any other registry cleaner software installed on your computer?

0 Kudos
mwidunn
Level 7

Yes, I have Glary Utilities.

0 Kudos
jaymfe
Level 12

It may removed some McAfee registry which lead to this issue. I suggest you to re-install McAfee on your computer. Please remove McAfee from Programs and Features and run MCPR , restart your computer. Then you may login to McAfee account and download and install McAfee.

MCPR

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

McAfee account

https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx

0 Kudos
mwidunn
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.

Glary Utilities actually has a nice feature that allows one to restore previous "repairs."  I did that for everything I had done up until recently.  Then, I restarted the computer.  After that, McAfee started working fine: The message no longer came up on right-click scans and the Firewal did not show as OFF in the Settings.  More than that: A "Dell Dock" feature with all sorts of common buttons (e.g., IE, Recycle Bin, etc.) also reappeared after disappearing.

DO YOU STILL RECOMMEND THAT I UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL McAFEE?

Can a registry repair do all of this damage?  The reason I was using it was because I had seen many times on the Internet people recommend cleaning up the Reigstry in order to speed up the computer.

Should I, then, just leave the Registry alone?  Maybe, use CCleaner?

Message was edited by: mwidunn on 3/25/11 5:30:09 PM CDT
0 Kudos
jaymfe
Level 12

Matthew, So it’s clear that Glary utility made some registry change and it caused this issue. So there is no need to do a re-install now. It may be the culprit for the issue with Dell Dock.

McAfee Security Center has PC optimization - QuickClean utility which has option to optimize and clear registry file. I suggest you to use it.

Anyway, happy to hear that all the issues were resolved.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

the original thread re this that seemed to prove registry cleaners as culprit is here FYI

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/24927?start=60&tstart=0

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/03/11 1:20:00 PM
0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

I have used ccleaner for years.Without ant problems.It is 1 of the better cleaners.Although I would reccomend not using the registry portion of the program.The cleaner portion will clean mostly temp files,recycle bin,recent history,ect.This tab is very safe.The second tab registry cleaner is where some problems may occer.Although they give you an option to back up the registry before cleaning "unused file extensions,unused registry keys,etc.There is always a chance it could delete something that is needed.This is only my opinion not the moderators.Also Dell dock was originally on my computer.When my hard drive failed it was not reinstalled.I recently figured I would give it a try.WOW!That thing brought my computer to a screeching halt.Both browsers took an eternity to open for some reason.After uninstalling everthing worked great again.

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

I recommend that if you use any registry cleaner software to please discontinue using as these types of programs tend to do more harm then good.  Let us know if the information that Jayadeep suggested resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Ok that link I originally posted here is elsewhere will check why. Sorry

The reinstall will fix this though

Sure you never used another cleaner if not Glary must have done this as back in June 2010 we found that in nearly 100% users with this they used a registry cleaner.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/03/11 10:00:52 AM

on 10/21/13 12:26:33 PM CDT
0 Kudos