cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citrus
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 23

Re: Was the Recent Update to Security Center 11.0 build 11.0.678 Flawed?

Hopeless:

Just ran MVT again this morning and still get the same error message you do. Like Markiebeau, I also had a problem a few months ago with 20 or more com errors. The moderator of the discussion at the time managed to get the problem passed to the technical side of the house after several days and an MVT update resolved the problem till now.

Of course, the problem we have now might be a "REAL" com file problem which will require a software updat and not just an MVT fix. But the fact that several of us are seeing the same symptom after the same software upgrade on the same operating system should be evidence of a reproducible problem that is not a unique glitch on someone's pc.

The kneejerk reaction on the part of every software company seems to be to do a lot of diagnostics on a pc with the problem. This is sensible when the problem is not reproducible, but in a case like ours I think their time would be best spent to inspect the install script for the software upgrade and see what it does with the specific com component (c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcsubmgr\11,0,678,0\mcsubmgr.dll in an XP SP3 environment.

Also, can anyone tell me what a 'mer log' is? The log which comes out of MVT simply indicates that the above component is missing.

hopeless1
Level 9
Message 12 of 23

I just ran MVT and the COM problem does not exist anymore. This time MVT found no problems.

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 6/11/12 8:30:41 PM GMT-05:00
citrus
Level 9
Message 13 of 23

I also ran MVT and there were no problems. I suspect the software update was successful all along and that the problem was indeed with MVT only. This is like the multiple com file problems that MVT was showing a few months ago, that also went away after a few days.

I think we are seeing the following scenario played out here.  Depending on the operating system and the combination of products installed, the registry entries that MVT must check are sometimes different. For example, a com file that might be wrong on an XP system might be correct on an Windows 7 system. Or a registry entry important to a Security Center install might not exist at all if you're just running Antivirus Plus. This means that everytime software upgrades are done, the people who maintain MVT must update it to look for the appropriate components for every possible combination of operating systems and McAfee products. Sometimes they miss something, and MVT will flag an error that is bogus. Eventually, if enough people complain, then the problem gets fixed in an MVT update.

The problem described by Redwood is I think a combination of the MVT glitch plus a true contamination by trojans, viruses, or whatever. In other words, the issue is deeper than the MVT problem described in this thread.  I don't know how to advise him on that.

redwood
Level 7
Message 14 of 23

Thru other programs (TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, etc.) I saw the trojan quarantined and removed.  I think that problem no longer exists.  Previous MVTs have shown no problems with XP.  There was a problem a while ago with DAT - I believe it was corrected by a new download of the whole taco and maybe that is what is needed now.  If the system gets so traumatized so easily every time there is a trojan it is not a good system - but I do believe it is a clean machine now so what's the excuse.  I  got a warning yesterday that I am not getting updates!  The last fix was done at no expense and this one should at the very least been explained by tech support who never heard of DAT probs !!!!- not just give me a sales pitch.   No wonder mc has the rep it has.  Glad your problems were solved - wish me luck.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 15 of 23

Hi hopless1 & ms421,

We would like to investigate on this new error that you have reported, please check your mailbox , we have sent you an email for setting up a technical call back to collect some McAfee logs. Thanks for your patience and support with regards to this issue.

hopeless1
Level 9
Message 16 of 23

I see ExBrit has answered this problem for people in a few other threads as being a known problem with MVT so I won't pursue it further

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 6/9/12 6:47:25 AM GMT-05:00

But can you talk to Dinz or is this now sorted out?

verno was yours the mcsvhost or the mchost error?

verno
Level 7
Message 18 of 23

Peacekeeper,

I had the mcsvhost problem. I was incorrect in my previous post. Fortunately for me my computer is running great now after the updates and running the mcafee cleanup and regisry cleanup program. I have not run MVT since a couple days ago when it found the comm error that it could not fix. I have tested nearly everything on my PC (HP media center XP) and it is running better than it has in a long while. Bootups are noticably quicker. You guys have your hands full.

redwood
Level 7
Message 19 of 23

Hi, can you tell me why MVT can find problems but not correct them?   The DAT problem is an old one - I think I had it last year and they just replaced the whole thing. Aren't they just refusing help to get you to pay?  I always need more than Mc - I have MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSKiller that seemed to remove the zeroaccess trojan that replaced Mc with a fake security alert.  But of course I am not sure.  I just ran Stinger (but without disabling system restore because I am afraid to wipe out any old restore points) and Stinger found nothing.

I am upset because the trojan should have been dealt with by Mc - it is not a new one and is on the list of known viruses according to Stinger.

Any advice? I am not tech smart and this is scary.

redwood
Level 7
Message 20 of 23

Here's what MVT says it cannot correct:

Expected COM Component File Path not Present

Component Name: PSFactoryBuffer {16D2A02D-7200-4AD7-97FA-BEEE9D3AF9FC} c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcsubmgr\11,0,678,0\mcsubmgr.dll

Top Issues  1 Top Issue(s) 

Top Issue: Corrupt DAT issue

KB URL: 

Registry  1 Registry key(s) incorrect 

Expected Registry Value not Present

Expected : ini log txt trc

Existing : ini log txt trc wiki-publisher log1 evtx mui

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration SmoothWritesExtensions

NOTE:  several scans including TDSSKiller say trojans were removed.  Any help?  Is this a problem? Am I getting updates?  Secure?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community