Vistax32 SecurityCenter- Not Protected, but McAfee- Protected
- Immediately after a fresh start / restart (50sec uptime), Vista Security Center reports that McAfee Firewall and VirusScan are turned off; both categories are Red. BUT, McAfee reports that Everything is Protected.
- After 3 minutes uptime, Vista Security Center will automatically refresh itself and report that McAfee Firewall and VirusScan are running; both categories are then Green.
-- This problem started after the last "major" update, a few days to a week ago. I.E. the McAfee Taskbar pop-up that an update has completed Used To Be a black-bordered window with white/ yellow interior; Now, it is a black-bordered window with grey/ white interior.
- While Vista Security Center is showing no firewall or virus protection: if I click "Turn On", McAfee Security Center will automatically open up and report that its fixing my protection issue. BUT, McAfee WASN'T reporting any protection issue AND Vista Security Center STILL shows the item I just "turned on" as NOT "turned on".
- After waiting the 3 minutes for Vista to report that all is well, I've tried running McAfee's Virtual Technician: it reports that it cannot find any installed McAfee products; session I.D. 14681925.
- I can successfully check for updates with both McAfee and Windows Update. EVERYTHING is up-to-date as of this posting.
- I can successfully run a FULL virus scan: no problems / issues / viruses.
I've been putting up with this for about a week, thinking that when another McAfee update came thru, it might fix itself. AND, it Seemed that after waiting 3 minutes after starting the PC, everything was running as it should. But I've received a DAT update and the problem persists, AND McAfee Virtual Technician can't idenitfy my "allegedly" installed and running properly-McAfee products.
I'm exceedingly, even excessively, carfeul about what I do with my PC. I'm very security-conscious, though admittedly not a PC security "gearhead". I don't do ANY "file sharing". Other than Vista and McAfee updates, I download / install Very little; game patches mostly. I haven't downloaded/ installed Anything, or changed Any settings of Any kind, for several weeks prior to this happening. The only variable I can think of between the last time everything was fine and the first occurence of this problem was the large update to McAfee Firewall and VirusScan about a week ago.
I've checked thru several pages of posts in both the Resolved and Unresolved MSCv9 forums but haven't found anything similar to my issue. If I could get some specific definitive help from someone, I will be Very Grateful.
Thanks in advance.
take it easy.
(original McAfee Security Center pre-installed by Alienware; purchased May '08)
Security Center v9.0 - Build 9.0.295 - Last Update: 1/6/09
Virus Scan v13.0 - Build 13.0.232 - Last Update: 1/11/09 - DAT Version: 5491.0000 - DAT Creation Date: 1/10/09 - Engine Version: 5300.2777
Personal Firewall v10.0 - Build 10.0.209 - Last Update: 1/6/09
* McAfee Firewall is the Only firewall running, Vista firewall turned off. * McAfee VirusScan is the Only AV installed / running.
RE: Vistax32 SecurityCenter- Not Protected, but McAfee- Protected
eartdragunz, Thank You for the reply.
I followed the steps you outlined succcessfully, but unfortunately the problem persisted.
I wiped my HDD and did a Complete Factory Respawn; I keep on-top of personal backups, so respawning isn't that big a deal for me. Prior to initiating the respawn, I disconnected from my DSL so I'd be sure I could update what I want in the order I want.
After the respawn completed, I checked Vista Security Center- it shows both Windows Firewall and McAfee as running and McAfee VirusScan as running; all Green except for Windows Update being Yellow because of my "Notify Only" setting. I set about doing Vista and McAfee updates before doing Anything else.
-- Downloaded all available / relevant Vista updates, month-by-month: everything came thru fine. After last Vista update restart, Security Center still shows Green for Firewall and Malware Protection. -- Setup McAfee subscription again / started McAfee update process: all McAfee updates installed, back to the versions I originally posted. Vista Firewall and Malware Protection still Green. -- Turned off Windows Firewall (Windows Defender not running), restarted: problem is back. Vista Security Center shows Firewall and Malware Protection as Red for first 3min after desktop loads, although McAfee reports everything is protected. And as before, trying to "turn on" the McAfee Firewall and/or VirusScan via Vista Security Center doesn't help; McAfee will pop-up reporting that its fixing protection problems that it showed didn't need any fixing, and Vista Security Center continues to show both categories as Red / "turned off". Its only at the 2:59 - 3:10min uptime mark that Vista Security Center will refresh itself and show everything as running properly.
Because McAfee itself shows everything running/ configured properly And I can successfully run a virus scan while Vista says McAfee is reporting its turned off, I'm thinking that the essential issue is, for Some reason, Vista isn't able to recognize that the McAfee components Are Indeed turned on and working properly.
I don't know if there are any other suggestions that anyone might make; I'd certainly be glad to hear them. For the time being, I'll have to keep an even closer watch than usual on this. Definitely NOT helpful to have to babysit my security software, but until I find a better solution, I guess I'll make do with the subscription I've already paid for.