cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
copout
Level 7

Update problems since Christmas

Over the Christmas period my hard drive failed and I had to have it replaced.
This necessitated the re-installing of my Mcafee Security Centre which I initially purchased
through Dell when I bought the computer. I have renewed it every year since on the 28th May.
I am on windows Vista.
Since I have re-installed MSC I have had problems. Every day sometimes, twice a day I get a message to say there are Mcafee updates that have been down loaded and my computer need to be re started. I became suspicious about this as normal updates don't need to have the computer re-started.
What I found was that the MSC was checking for updates, down loading them which could be seen from the percentage reading that is shown in MSC as it downloads. But when it is supposed to be installing the percentage indicator does not alter from the 0%, but it still says it has installed it and the computer needs restarting. Some days almost immediately after this operation I get messages to say I need to restart again as there have been updates down loaded.
Yesterday I went on line and chatted to a technician. I was asked to down load a patch and run it. This did not solve the problem so I was asked to remove the MSC and then run MCPR.exe to totally remove any Mcafee product. I then re-installed MSC via my account with Mcafee. Unfortunately twice today I have had pop ups stating my computer needs to be restarted after updates. Clearly this problem has not been solved
I again contacted Mcafee and one of their level two Technicians spent 5 yes 5 hours connected to my computer trying to get it to install the updates. No he didn't fix it.
Saturday 16/1/11 again Mcafee got in touch and spent another hour connected and still failed to solve the problem. I understand it has been sent to their level two research team.
Anyone else suffering like this I can't be sure my computer is protected.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Update problems since Christmas

This not a common issue will bring it up at our moderator call tomorrow

0 Kudos
funkmasterj
Level 7

I have the exact same issue.

I have been through 4 technicians at Cox/McAfee, and no help.

Most recently I was transferred to McAfee Level 2 support (after an hour on th ephone) and was promptly disconnected.

What to do ?

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

You got a call reference number I will get them to recontact you

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/02/11 6:07:24 AM
0 Kudos
funkmasterj
Level 7

Are you asking for my phone number ?  I really would not want to post my phone number on this forum.

0 Kudos
Danny313
Level 7

I think he meant do you have a Call Reference number, he can pass the reference on so they can call you.

0 Kudos
funkmasterj
Level 7

No, I have no reference number. I even asked the last help desk technician if I had a reference number or ticket number ... he said "no", that they had taken notes and were available by anyone helping me when they looked at my account.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Sorry for the typo . I would then redo chat giving them your account details which we mods cannot see and ask for the call to be redone. I also would not accept the chat tech to retry to fix things but go straight to the escalated tech.

Best to leave it to the higher level support

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/02/11 6:26:01 AM
0 Kudos
funkmasterj
Level 7

I got to Level 2 support this morning. He told me that I had to apply ALL Microsoft updates before he could help me.

Of course, now I am having issues getting SP1 installed on one of my Vista machines, and am currently ( and have been for the past 2 houirs) sharing my desktop with a MSFT technician who is debugging the SP install process.  He told me (along the way) that McAfee was prohibiting SP1 install, so he unistalled it, and started the SP1 installation again.

I doubt that SP1 is the issue, as my other Vista machine is continuing to have the same McAfee issues even after successful SP1 upgrade.

What happened to the person who posted to this thread orginally...did he get his problem fixed ?

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Unsure when I asked in our call 17 Jan it was said to be a mcafee issue. No update so reasking next Monday

0 Kudos