cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimS
Level 7

Uninstall Brings BSOD - Windows 7 (64) - HELP!!

Jump to solution

A month ago I purchased a new Dell XPS 7100, Studio Phenom X6, that came with McAfee Security Center pre-installed. Today the 30 day trial ran out. So I installed Trend Micro Security Suite which uninstalled the McAfee Security Center. Rebooted to finish process.

BSOD!!! Crashes at ndis.sys..........

Only way back in is Safe Mode without network. Otherwise, I get buzzing and a crash on the login screen.

I have run MCPR.exe and MCPR2.exe. Neither finishes successfully (log attached). Neither one solves the problem.

I'm desperate! These forums have provided no clear guidance. Dell won't help, since this is McAfee's screwup. I have noted that even priority phone service hasn't been useful for some people. What can I do besides scrub everything down?

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Uninstall Brings BSOD - Windows 7 (64) - HELP!!

Jump to solution

Update the atheros network drivers and retry MCPR. Maybe you need to remove your new AV as well. there was an issue with BSODs and win 7 64bit and mcafee. maybe updating the driver network and wireless will help you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Update the atheros network drivers and retry MCPR. Maybe you need to remove your new AV as well. there was an issue with BSODs and win 7 64bit and mcafee. maybe updating the driver network and wireless will help you.

0 Kudos
JimS
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you very much. That did the trick!   

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Glad to help especially the easy questions.

0 Kudos
JimS
Level 7

Jump to solution

Given how common (and disruptive) this driver issue is, I am dismayed that McAfee has not incorporated a fix in their install/uninstall programs. It seems like a no-brainer.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Sometimes they might not  be able to though I would have thought the install could check the verion (if present) and request you to update. Will ask next meeting

0 Kudos