cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rb01
Level 7

Unable to re-install

A few days back I started getting a subscription verification required pop-up in the icon tray but could not get it verify my subscription.

I went through this forum and followed the uninstall procedure. When I tried to re-install it downloads the software but then says the installation failed. Only the security center is installed. I call my internet provider through which I have a free subscription and they connected me to Mcafee support. They told me to unistall again and try re-installing and everything should be okay. But it failed again.

This is very frustrating. My PC has been running McAfee for almost 6 years without any problems untill now. I even tried a different account since I have one installation for every email registered through my provider. My laptop is running fine with macfee.

Please help.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
silverhawk
Level 7

RE: Unable to re-install

uninstall with McAfee product removal tool, link is given below..

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
0 Kudos
rb01
Level 7

Already tried that.
0 Kudos
rb01
Level 7

I have tried the removal tool and also the pre-install.exe but still cannot intall Mcafee.
Since I am getting it free from my subscriber and McAfee support was not too much of a help, I might as well go with anyother free virus protection.

I have been trying for two weeks.
0 Kudos
rb01
Level 7

I noticed while going through other threads that someone can help with a MVT session ID.
Here is my session ID after another failed installation. ID:20312977. I also have saved the problem and diagnostic logs.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

rb01, best to contact Technical Support Chat, link in my signature, and give them that MVT session ID. They can escalate your case if necessary.
0 Kudos
rb01
Level 7

I tried the online technical chat and they advised that I update windows, which already is pretty much up to date. I said that I have a session ID but they did not even ask for it.
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

McAfee relies heavily on a working and up to date Internet Explorer. Go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click "Reset", OK any prompts and click Apply and OK. Close and reopen IE, go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable all the add-ons.
(This is assuming IE7 or 8 which you should have). Whether or not you use IE this still applies.

Try running MCPR in my signature again, reboot.

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool from the following link:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe and attempt to reinstall.

Another factor that can prevent installation is competing software....is/was there any?
0 Kudos
rb01
Level 7

I tried everything you suggested. Nothing worked. Do I need to update to Xpnull Sp3?
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

What level is XP at right now?
0 Kudos