cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial expired early and without warning

I installed the free trial on a windows laptop and the app said I had 14 days to use the product.  The software was making my budget-friendly laptop run really slow so I used the add a device option to install the antivirus software on my desktop on the 7th day of the 14-day trial.  I used my desktop with Mcafee running for the entire 7th day with no performance issues.  On day 8 of the 14-day trial, I started up my desktop and McAfee was showing that the expiration date for my software was 12-31-1969 (did McAfee even exists in 1969) and the trial software would not run.  I had not installed any updates on the desktop in the 8hrs before it expired. I went ahead and paid for the subscription, but I was disappointed that the trial ended early without any warning.  

tl;dr - Has anyone experienced the free trial ending earlier than the listed expiration date and without warning? And does McAfee set the expiration date 50+ years in the past to force an early expiration (if not, then my computer may have been hacked)?

4 Replies
Magesh
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Trial expired early and without warning

Hi @LadyTMarie 

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. The subscription date which was showing as 50+ years past may be due to synchronizing issue with subscription. 

Kindly ensure McAfee is up to date and usually you will be notified before the trial period expiry with the prompts on your PC. If issue still persists  perform re installation and check issue status.

Thanks,  

Thanks for the reply.  I had applied all of the available antivirus updates on the 1-day that I had the software running on two machines.  My desktop said all updates had been applied and that my machine was protected.  I turned off my desktop with everything working fine and when I woke up the mcafee software thought my expiration date was 12-31-1969. I couldn't apply any updates at that point because the software was expired.  

I have since upgraded my software but that 12-31-1969 expiration date has to be some kind of software glitch.  The date on my machine is accurate.

Also, after I purchased the license my expiration date was more than 365 days (> 1yr).  I appreciate the extra 20 days but ending my trial without warning was a hassle because I need an active antivirus app for work.

It happened again.  I stepped away from my desktop for about 40mins and when I logged back into my laptop the expiration date was set to 12/31/1969 again.  Because the expiration date was 12-31-1969, all of the services were turn off.  There was no option to log out of McAfee so I rebooted my machine and the activation date returned to normal with the services running.  

I need someone from support to take a look at this.  A screenshot is attached

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community